Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Opinions on a canvas-bottomed cage?

ProudPiggyMama

Cavy Slave
While browsing Ebay today, I ran across this listing-

(broken link removed) What might be some advantages or disadvantages of having a canvas-bottomed cage? Does this seem safe to you? I have a boar and plan to soon adopt another one as soon as I've gotten Logan settled in.

Does anyone have experience with this type of cage? it's 8 sq. feet.

1)8 sq. feet isn't big enough for 2 pigs, especially boars. Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home observe the preferred column.
2)I have a hard time imagining that canvas would be water proof like coroplast is.
Maybe someone else can chime in about canvas bottoms, but that doesn't seem like it would be big enough, I also think you could make a much bigger one for the same amount of money as a C&C

That's a Midwest brand expandable guinea pig habitat. It's a good alternative to a C&C cage from what I've heard, but I don't have any personal experience with it.

I think this is their home page. Guinea Habitat Plus

Unfortunately this only really meets the minimum requirement for 1 male or 1-2 females, since males tend to require more space.

Ah, thank you for the advice on space!! I assumed that it was equal for both genders, but it makes sense that you'd want to avoid putting two boars, who are naturally more aggressive, in such a small space.

I was thinking that if I did buy a canvas-bottomed cage, I'd probably put a layer of something waterproof on the bottom, like linoleum.

Coroplast cages are pretty inexpensive to make and can be expanded later so I'd just go with coroplast and grids.

You may as well do it right with C&C cages from the outset. A number of people have reported problems keeping the canvas clean. Not to mention the company totally ripped off a number of things directly from me with absolutely no credit or compensation. I do NOT recommend Midwest Cages and wish people would stop linking to them.

What's a Midwest cage?
I had one of my guinea-pig cages from Midwest, but it was technically a kennel for large dogs. It was as tall as me and I found it a pain to crawl into. It was 6 feet long and two feet wide. I could make it into different shape if I wanted, but made it a 6x2 because of lack of space. You may see it in my gallery.

I've seen alternative CC cages made from kiddie pools in the gallery. There are even some crafty people who make cages from cabinets. I even considered making one out of those kiddie sandboxes you could get at Kmart. They're huge and are in adorable turtle shapes. You don't use sand, of course, but you get the picture.

EDIT:
[GuineaPigCages.com] Opinions on a canvas-bottomed cage?

That's the kennel.

Last edited:
You may as well do it right with C&C cages from the outset. A number of people have reported problems keeping the canvas clean. Not to mention the company totally ripped off a number of things directly from me with absolutely no credit or compensation. I do NOT recommend Midwest Cages and wish people would stop linking to them.

Sorry, I didn't know. :guilty:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.