Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Opinion on new cage layout please

lissie

Cavy Slave
I was changing my cage and making it into a table. Like this:
photo.JPG

I was waiting for coroplast, so I was keeping Cookie and Puffy free range on the kitchen floor. Their home base is under Rocky's and Oreo's cage. Then I realized, I like having them on the floor. Now I want all 4 of them living on the floor.

My original plan was to raise both cages up so it will be better for my back. But now, I'm not so sure.

This was the plan. One cage will be 2x7, and the other one will be reduced to 2x5 because my husband insisted that we have a computer desk in the kitchen for a desktop computer that nobody even uses. The coffee table in the drawing will be a printer stand.
01.jpg

Closeup of 2x7
2x7.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
Closeup of 2x5
2x5.jpg

Space for the computer:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_fdrK34-B9Og/TbE3b_lclJI/AAAAAAAAEOA/j4cJZXsTsOQ/photo5.JPG

My new idea is to just give up one of the cage and turn the thing into a computer desk and move the other cage out of the room and make a 3x7 C&C cage and keep it on the floor. I'd like to introduce the pigs again and see if they can live together. If not, I'd put a divider down the center. This cage will block the window a little, but I don't really mind.
3x7_room.jpg

3x7_iso.jpg

lissie

Cavy Slave
3x7_iso2.jpg

Which one you guys like better? With both cage raised, I'll have more storage and it's easier on my back. With the 3x7 on the floor, it's easier for floor time, I can just open one grid to let them come and go.

More drawings here.
Table cage: (broken link removed)

3x7 C&C on the floor: (broken link removed)

This was the cage before I added the tall legs to one of them.
P73232004.jpg

This is the free range setup. They don't even make a mess on the kitchen floor.
photo%202.JPG

This is why I like having them on the floor.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_...sI/AAAAAAAAEK8/bv8NUeRa5i4/s512/P09621400.jpg

Puffy jumping on to my lap:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_...MI/AAAAAAAAELE/o_lneYYLJ4c/s512/P09623802.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_...LI/AAAAAAAAELA/OVAaF9OJwtM/s512/P09622601.jpg

BrowniesMemory

Cavy Slave
What did you use to make the drawings? I've been trying to figure out a way to make a more accurate drawing of cage plans...well more accurate than free-hand.

lissie

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Any comments on the cage?

sarah_atx

Cavy Slave
I think if you like having them on the floor it makes sense to try that before you build or change the cages any more. Do you have less laundry to do with them free range? It's awesome that they don't make a huge mess!

I have my cage on a table because I need the storage space in my apartment. But if they're on the floor you could use the table you already have built for storage??

As far as it being easier on your back with them up higher, maybe if you got some gardening-type knee pads you could scoot around to clean while they're on the floor, rather than bend down? I don't know if that's practical for you.

S0rceress0

Cavy Slave
I like the floor idea. The nice thing about them on the floor is that you can sit on a stool to clean it so you don't have to be on your knees. I can see how floor time would be easier. You don't want to have a back spasm as you are getting down on the floor with a piggie in your hands!

lissie

Cavy Slave
Do you have less laundry to do with them free range?

Yes. The laundry has been less. But they don't get good grip on the floor like when they are on fleece in a whole cage. I can hear clack clack clack sound from their nails when they walk on the kitchen floor. I think it's cute :) but they can't run laps.

BrowniesMemory

Cavy Slave
Thanks. As for opinions, all I can really say is go with what's good for the piggies and is easy for you too. I don't know if that really helps much. I'm someone who gets something, like a room arrangement, in my head and I just have to try it to see if it works. I have rearranged my room several times over the few years I've been in my current residence, not an easy feet for a stubborn petite person.

sarah_atx

Cavy Slave
Yes. The laundry has been less. But they don't get good grip on the floor like when they are on fleece in a whole cage. I can hear clack clack clack sound from their nails when they walk on the kitchen floor. I think it's cute :) but they can't run laps.

Ohh. Hm. That's really too bad that they can't get any traction. Maybe some kind of sticky shelf liner on the floor in spots would help but it sounds like a hassle to put something like that down. It would probably collect a lot of hairs and be weird for you to walk on too. Maybe some shower-floor grippies around would help them have spots of traction?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all your comments. I showed both layouts to my husband last night, and he chose the table top one. I should have asked him before I posted here.

I also think the 2x7 and 2x5 will provide more space for the pigs than a split 3x7 in case the intro doesn't go as planned. And now I won't introduce them since I'll be keeping the cages on 2 sides of the room as planned.

I'll post pics when the new cages are done.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
Wow awsome ideas!! I love the idea of keeping them on the floor and it's cool how they don't make a big mess all over your floor!!:)

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
It's going to be beautiful! Can't wait to see pics. :)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think it will be a piggy paradise and I can't wait to see it when it's done.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
Can't wait to see the pictures. I would have voted for floor cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Can't wait to see the pictures. I would have voted for floor cage.

I know! I wanted the floor cage too. Then I realized why I adopted Puffy (the 4th pig) in the first place. When there were 3 pigs, Cookie always gets bullied. That's why I wanted to keep them separated. I shouldn't let the cool cage design tempt me into putting them together. If I have to divide that 3x7 cage, they'd only have 3x3.5 for each pair. That's much smaller than their existing space.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
If you don't mind, I might try to use some of it for when I enlarge the boys cage.

lissie

Cavy Slave
I don't mind at all. Let me know if you want me to draw other ideas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.