Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Opimal location for litter box in cage?

ohmypig!

Cavy Slave
Right now I have a large plastic tray litter box lined with shredded newspaper and hay on one corner of my 2x5 C and C cage. Their litter box has a towel canopy for privacy. The food, second hay rack and water are on the opposite side of the cage.

The pigs WERE using their litter box, but over the last two days, they've been using it less and pooping on the opposite side of the cage around their hay rack, food and water area.

My question: Should I move the water , hay rack and food on top of/ beside the litter box to encourage its use? The only problem is that it may create a "hot spot" where the "good stuff" is all in the same place. I don't want my pigs to fight over this prime location since they won't allow eachother to be in the litter box at the same time, eventhough it's huge.

Thoughts?

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I would put it under the hayrack, they like to poop where they eat.

Angela~Anaconda

Cavy Slave
Place it under the hay box, I find my pigs like to poop and eat at the same time. Since they spend most of their time in their hay box, I noticed less poop around the cage, and lots more in the hay box. Plus, it will help keep your cage cleaner on two levels:
-One being they will most likely poop where they sleep
-And two, hay that falls will fall into the box, so then less hay around the cage

Since your piggies don't like being in the same litter box together, maybe you have to double up everything. If they aren't getting along (not neccessarily fighting), but one seems to rule over the other for the "good" stuff, like water bottles and food dishes, you may have to double up, that way everyone is happy, and they both can enjoy drinking and eating at the same time.

Hope this helps!

ohmypig!

Cavy Slave
I think I'll move the hay rack so it's on top of the litter box. Should I get rid of their hideys as well? They seem to poop under there. They'llstill have a couple of tunnels and the litter box to hide in, but I know they really enjoy their hideys too. It makes me feel bad to take them away since they like to relax in there.

SkinnyPiggy

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs poop EVERYWHERE ! I have tried everything to litter train them. I made them a pen out of extra cubes, so they could be in the family room with everyone. I had there little blanket just covering the corner and they were doing there business there, would take turns going in and out. I tried this when they went back in to there cage, NO LUCK! They were back to pooping everywhere.

Any suggestions?

lissie

Administrator
Cavy Gazer
I find that they like to poop and pee in dark areas so I cover the whole kitchen with a fleece or towel tent. Now I rarely find poop in the main area. They'd still poop in the hideys though.
The way I have the cage now is kitchen on one end and all the hideys on the other end. I don't have a picture of my new setup yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.