Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet One question?

rubypig

Cavy Slave
If we follow guidelines for feeding, there based on one cavy so if we have 2 or more and for example you double the amout of a particular veg for 2 then if one cavy eats both portions that means that one pig is getting too much. So my question is, is this a problem, dangerous? what do we do in these situations if we need to do anything at all? :eye-poppi

i always wondered this to because my 3 pigs get there salad and i dont think my smallest one of the group gets very much but yes you double that amount and you could always put 2 dishes in at different parts of the cage

It's not so much Getty enou because I keep an eye as they're eating and they tend to share everything but it's more that fact that for example if I give one slice of something to each and one eats both slices than all the not so good things like sugars calcium etc are doubled for that piggy so I tasted to worry that one may be getting too much of a particular thing. My ruby seems to eat all the greens and Chilly goes for the peppers so maybe Ruby won't get enough vitamin c and Chilly won't get the goodness from the greens?!

Too much veggies could cause bloat, diarrhea & less consumed hay leading to overgrown teeth in the long run. But eating a second chunk of something won't be an issue unless one constantly eats most of the bell peppers.

What you can do is place their veggies in bowls, at opposite ends of the cage. If one eats slower than the other, you could temporarily put up a divider in the middle of the cage for those few minutes. Or feed one during lap time.

well if your that worried about it then you could get daily c tablets by oxbow and give ruby one quarter of one a day as of chilly with the greens idk

Good idea, but would really upset them if I seperated them, they're very attached to each other and wheek when one is away from the other, they actually search to find the other very sweet. Hay they both get plenty of, it's very funny when they eat because Chilly being younger likes to eat whatever Ruby has picked up in her mouth so they end up halving it! But as I said worrying about one getting more than the other of anything so may try putting a bigger distance between bowls before going for temporary division. I am very particular about how much they eat when it comes to veg or fruit so I haven't had a bloat case yet thank God!

Vitamin tabs a good idea too but will try to keep it natural until it actually calls for giving them tabs.

Well will try the bowl parting first and see how that goes... Fingers crossed

Last edited:
Too much veggies could cause bloat, diarrhea & less consumed hay leading to overgrown teeth in the long run. But eating a second chunk of something won't be an issue unless one constantly eats most of the bell peppers.

What you can do is place their veggies in bowls, at opposite ends of the cage. If one eats slower than the other, you could temporarily put up a divider in the middle of the cage for those few minutes. Or feed one during lap time.
.... yes but they can have up to 2 cups a day

Edited by bpatters: One cup per pig per day is the recommended amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to just feed mine one thing at a time because I had the same thing.... one piggie may munch only peppers while the other gets just greens. Now when I am giving something that should be limited, that's the only thing I give them at that particular time, and each gets their own slice. Eliminates the worries.

.... yes but they can have up to 2 cups a day

They really shouldn't be fed much more than 1 cup. I wouldn't go above 1-1½ cup because of these related issues.

Good idea, but would really upset them if I seperated them, they're very attached to each other and wheek when one is away from the other, they actually search to find the other very sweet. Hay they both get plenty of, it's very funny when they eat because Chilly being younger likes to eat whatever Ruby has picked up in her mouth so they end up halving it! But as I said worrying about one getting more than the other of anything so may try putting a bigger distance between bowls before going for temporary division. I am very particular about how much they eat when it comes to veg or fruit so I haven't had a bloat case yet thank God!

Vitamin tabs a good idea too but will try to keep it natural until it actually calls for giving them tabs.

Well will try the bowl parting first and see how that goes... Fingers crossed

Aw yep, the grass is always greener on the other side, or from the other pigs mouth!
Perhaps try handfeeding them each piece when you have the time? That way you know approximately how much both are eating. It's not that important unless one is eating noticeably more than the other though.

Aw yep, the grass is always greener on the other side, or from the other pigs mouth!
Perhaps try handfeeding them each piece when you have the time? That way you know approximately how much both are eating. It's not that important unless one is eating noticeably more than the other though.

Well they roughly eat the same amount, I have been checking, but I did notice Ruby eating the greens up fast and Chilly getting that little bit less so I started to put the greens below the other things in there bowls so that the green would last long enough rather than Ruby running off with them so Chilly doesn't pull it from her mouth lollll that worked to some extent because the rest of the food weighs down the greens slightly deterring Ruby from just going for the greens, I started worrying about this subject really when I put in two cherry tomatoes and wasn't quite sure if one had got more than the other, I chop them up because I heard some acidy fruit veg can give them mouth blisters so to be safe I make those bite size.

There not due for theyre second meal yet so will see how it goes, I give them roughly a cup each per day, unlimited pellets and hay but Even though they are both big waters and never turn away anything even new things, Ruby still tends to wheel at me between meals, I don't want to over feed her but at the same time I am checking they're weight and they're both putting on, Ruby felt a little underweight when I got her and so did Chilly, actually Chilly's face was quite bony to me, meaning that I felt they were both underweight, Ruby is more fluffy so hid it well but obviously you can tell when holding them!

Chilly 417gm around 4-5 months old
Ruby 657gm a year old at least but can't tell, although she is not older than 2 in my opinion.
These weights are after just over a month of me feeding them a good balanced diet (definitely weigh more now due for another weigh in)

Does this sound right? To me seems possibly under? So this is why I have one eye on them eating continuously!!!

"Normal" weight for an adult female is around 700-900 grams, but it all depends on build, genetics & metabolism. They will probably continue growing a bit after 12 months as well. Especially if they weren't fed a good diet before.

As long as they're both healthy, active and Chilly follows a normal weight & growth curve, everything is fine.

I have one girl that eats very fast, but she does everything fast so burns more calories. The other pig is bigger and more layed back and eats slower and is fatter than the girl that eats probably more. I make a mixed salad and chop things in small pieces so one won't grab too much. I do spread the greens around so one girl can't hog the pile. It all seems to work out, but I do crush Oxbow Vit C over their greens for the winter.

Generally we don't recommend unlimited pellets, especially for adult pigs. But Ruby is very light for an adult pig, so keep on with what you're doing. Just keep an eye on Chilly's weight so that she doesn't get too fat -- you'll have to start limiting the pellets when she reaches her full growth.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.