Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting On the ethics of pet store piggies...

ProudPiggyMama

Cavy Slave
Is it ever okay to adopt a guinea pig from a petstore?

On a recent run to PetSupermarket, I noticed they had an "old" (by their definition; he looked to be about a year old) male Abby with a tag on his cage proclaiming him to be for adoption, not sale. Curious, I asked, and they said that he was too old to be considered "sellable". I've been on the hunt for a male guinea to be Logan's companion, and I thought it might be wise to ask the advice of others before I took him in. The animal shelter in my area rarely gets in guinea pigs, and when they do, they are always female.

I know pet store guineas frequently have health problems, and buying fro pet stores is often frowned upon, but I was wondering if this could be an exception to the rule. Apparently he's going to end up in the shelter within the week's end if nobody adopts him.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is he free? The PETCO I used to work at had animals up for adoption if people brought them in because they couldn't keep them. If thy aren't looking to charge you (ie not making money off him) I say go for it.

That so sad,poor little guy :weepy:
My vote would be to adopt him but to make sure he is quarantined and vet checked.

He's $10. They said it's basically just a re-homing fee, and he comes with a month of the food he's currently eating.

Edit: Scarlettraven, I'm planning to keep him sectioned off from Logan for three weeks before putting them together, and PetSupermarket gave me the number of the vet that frequently looks at the piggies they have.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, I would have to bring him home.

I think if you want him, get him. And if buying him from a pet-store really bothers you, you could always let him go to the shelter, and get him from there? That sounds a little mean though...

I'd take him. They've already written him off the books. I'll bet you could get him without paying the $10 if you ask.

He's $10. They said it's basically just a re-homing fee, and he comes with a month of the food he's currently eating.

Edit: Scarlettraven, I'm planning to keep him sectioned off from Logan for three weeks before putting them together, and PetSupermarket gave me the number of the vet that frequently looks at the piggies they have.

Logan will be so happy to have a friend!!!

I would get him. There is no reason for this guinea pig to go to a shelter if you can give him a good home.

Well, I just called and said I'd take him- and they even dropped the fee. Now I guess it's time to start looking for names...

Go get that piggie!! Sounds like everyone agrees:)

That's awesome dude! Congratulations on the newest piggy family member. Get some pictures when you get a chance. =D

Congrats. I think you made the right decision! :love:

Well, I just called and said I'd take him- and they even dropped the fee. Now I guess it's time to start looking for names...

I'm so happy for you. It's a perfect example of rescuing a guinea pig in need.......

Very happy for you both...can't wait to see pigtures!

So, so, so happy! Many wheeks and whistles of congratulations to you and your new little man. Thanks for rescuing! :)
Pleeease post pigtures!

I'm glad they dropped the fee. I disagree with paying anything in a case like this--it's not like a rescue or shelter where the money spent goes to care for more rescue/shelter animals.

Also, the threat to take a pig to the shelter isn't that much of a threat, depending on where you are. The shelters in my area take good care of the pigs, they are very rarely euthanized. Often they are kept in foster home situations.

The last two guinea pigs I got were because I went to the petshop and someone had dumped them there. They are two either peruvian or silkies with really bad haircuts.

I had no intention in getting anymore until my current numbers were way down.
These two boys looked so sad . The lady in the petshop said that they wouldn't be able to find them a home because they were 8 months old and bonded.
My daughters and I sort of think she was waiting for me to come in.
I have spoken to everyone that works there allot over the past 11 years. I have become firends with them because I just go in to chat.

She said she wanted them to go to a good home and I paid $5 for the two of them.
Their usually sale price for guinea is $29.99 each

I consider these two rescues like my others.

I'm glad they dropped the fee. I disagree with paying anything in a case like this--it's not like a rescue or shelter where the money spent goes to care for more rescue/shelter animals.

Also, the threat to take a pig to the shelter isn't that much of a threat, depending on where you are. The shelters in my area take good care of the pigs, they are very rarely euthanized. Often they are kept in foster home situations.

I agree with not paying anything, but in my area, it's a very real threat to be taken to the shelter. Small animals are the first to go. Some of the shelters do their best, but even the one we got our Picckalo from had him on a wire-floored cage, in a vestibule area with a plastic pigloo and a small towel (didn't cover the wire). This is a good shelter, BTW, and the folks want to do right. Don't want to think about the bad ones. Picckalo was "unadoptable" also (disabled), but the kill rates on any small critters (piggies, ratties, etc.) are high. Cats, too.

I'm glad your piggy is safe -- I can understand how hard it would be.

i have to say that this is one of the main reasons i won't go to pet stores, especially those that sell live animals. it breaks my heart to see the way animals suffer, and the idea of selling and buying sentient beings is just wrong. it's so hard NOT to rescue a pig like this - i would surely feel compelled to do the same. what would make me uneasy however, is that as soon as i brought that pig home, it would simply be replaced with another pig from the "machine" that overbreeds and ships pigs around in plastic crates without any thought to their well-being. i hate the idea of having ANY part in the cycle of pet stores cycling live critters through. i don't know how to deal with the ethical conflict, so i just can't bear to even see pigs, or other animals like this. again, i'm sure i would have done the same thing, and that pig is very lucky to have found a home with you, but it's heartbreaking that there are dozens of pigs in some guys truck on the way to that same pet store to take his place.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.