Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Olivia's vet visit

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I just came back from Olivia's vet vivsit due to her mites. They did a test (no skin scraping) and said she had mites. The vet had suspected it was either mites or ringworm before the test, but the test proved mites. He also gave her an injection, and told us in 7 to 14 days, give her the med. he gave us but give it through her mouth

So they gave us some medicine. It said on the label "Ivomec" but i'm pretty sure that is short for ivermectin.

I trust this vet because he told us he had dealed with many guinea pigs before. He also gave us some care info, that matched this site.

Is Ivormec the same as Ivermectin?

Last edited:

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
I also forgot to metion, Can I leave Heather and her together even though I am only treating Olivia right now?

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
I'm pretty sure I was given Ivormec for my pigs as well. Did your vet know you had another piggie at home? You should definitely treat them both at the same time. When we suspected mites for one of my boars, the vet treated all 3 with their first dose and then I took home two more doses for all 3 to be given 7 days apart.

guineapig67

Cavy Slave
Yes, but he didn't say I needed to treat Heather too. If I see Heather loosing hair, then I'll contact him.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
If they are caged together, you need to treat them both. Otherwise the mites will hide out on one pig and then reinfect the other. Mites are highly contagious.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.