Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Older sow seems stressed

ktucker621

Cavy Slave
My older sow Lyla seems to be getting really stressed sharing her 2x4 cage with my younger more active sow Mousie. So far there hasn't been any blood shed just a few arguments here and there. It's just that Lyla seems so irritated whenever Mousie is around. She will rumblestrut and chatter her teeth. Mousie is constantly aggravating and bullying Lyla. She will eat her fur, follow her everywhere, and get in her face all the time. It seems like Lyla can't get any peace. She is really mellow. I think maybe the age difference and energy levels are the issue. I just don't know what to do. Should i expand the cage. Should I seperate them and adopt Mousie a new younger friend. I don't want Lyla to be alone but it seems like she will be happier in a cage by herself. Please help. I need some advice. :confused:

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
How long have they been together?
If it has only been a short time [a week or so], they could just be establishing a pecking order. If it seems like they get along most of the time, but sometimes Lyla gets frustrated and starts behaving aggressively towards Mousie, she's probably just reinforcing her status, in other words, she's telling Mousie, "I'm the one in charge, remember?!" A few occurrences like that are perfectly fine every now and then, but if it is constant and she is being very aggressive [not just nipping to say 'no', but biting and chasing], you may want to try them in side-by-side cages for a while, or take some tips from this page: Guinea Pigs Social Life
Otherwise though, as long as you have two hideys and/or adequate space so both of them can be away from one another in their 'own' space, they should be fine.

ktucker621

Cavy Slave
Thanks for replying. They have been caged together for about 4 months. I think you are probably right Lyla is just letting her know she is the boss. I just want them both to be happy.:eek:ptimist: