Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Okay, everyone! Time for the intro and needs some help! Baby pig with young pig, male

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Okay, hey everyone!
So the two guinea pigs I'm going to be talkin' about right now are Aslan, and Sir Wiggles the Squishy. (You can call him whatever nickname you please, LOL).
I got Wiggles because I want a buddy for Aslan. Wiggles was sick but he's all better now. He has a crazy but sweet and just a plain baby-pig personality. Aslan is very kind toward people but I'd want to be close when introducing him to Wiggles who is very young and small and might irritate him some. We and my sister Nula wanted to see if they'd like to sniff nose-to-nose a few days ago:
I held Aslan and she held Wiggles. Wiggles was quite thrilled, I'd say, but perhaps a little too curious for Aslan. He sat there a moment, gazing at Wiggles intently, but then started to make the deep-throated trill as he stalked off my lap and onto Nula's lap where Wiggles was, but she kept him back and that was it with them for the rest of the day. It seems as if Aslan was saying to Wiggles, "I don't know you, I have very little interest in you, as I hope you realize, and you, Sir, and in my person's lap. Now, shove off!" *Sigh* Hm...
I really do hope that with some hard work it'll work out! It's not too late, right? Now, my sister owns gerbils, (and takes great care of them!) and I know that gerbils and guinea pigs are different and have different needs, like and dis-likes, but when introducing gerbils, you put mesh in the middle of a washed and clean cage, (neutral territory), and watch them, let them have nose-to-nose time, etc., but could it possibly be similar with piggies?
With my first two guinea pigs, Luna and Smokey, they were bonded immediately. I barely knew anything about guinea pigs then, and just plopped them down on the bed, the very day we got Smokey.
So, I'd really like to be up-to-speed on the whole intro thing, you know? Thanks. I'm really excited!!!

Thanks all in advance,
@Luna8

Well first, you can find out a lot about intros here: Guinea Pigs Social Life I would suggest not doing the nose-to-nose thing you were talking about again, because it stresses pigs out, and when you are holding them, they can't do normal dominance things such as smelling, chasing, rumble strutting, mounting, ect. Kinda like taping a persons mouth shut while they are trying to talk to someone.

Okay, thanks! Yeah, I can understand how that would be stressfull. Do you think it would be alright if I put them together on my bed? You know, sense it's no one's territory or anything. Plus, maybe I shouldn't have them in the same room as my girls at first, might be dominance (well, more than usual), but maybe it would also be good to get used to that?

I'm not sure about them being in the same room as the girls, but you can put them together on the bed for the introduction, as long as that is there only introduction if you know what I mean. You just have to introduce them once, then they can live in the same cage and all that as long as they get along.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.