Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ok...I need some help/advice.

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Wait a minute. I guess I'm confused then, because the last time I checked, rabbits don't require a cage, so why would space be a problem?!

My rabbits were NEVER caged. I had my bedroom bunny-proofed and most of the time they spent under my bed, because it resembled a burrow. I had a VERY small, wire, store-bought (I'm ashamed to say) cage that was only there to hold their hay. They would hop in when they wanted it, pee in there, and hop back out. My rabbits were both litter-trained, but obviously I'd have to vaccuum the poops. You can't prevent those.

Why can't this be your solution?

I have a friend right now who lets his bunny have free-run of his whole house! And it works out perfectly.

As for this "cage aggressive" stuff. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
As for this "cage aggressive" stuff. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.

If you ever get to Michigan swing on over and I'll show you cage aggression - free of charge, no purchase neccesary. So wether you "buy it" or not it does exist.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Well there would be no way of him having free range for our house. We have cats and dogs and it just wouldn't work out at all. As in for my room...my parents would never go for just letting her run around. Even if I did have my bunny free range in my room my guineapigs cage has no cover so the rabbit would end up jumping in and...it just wouldn't be good.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
My rabbits were NEVER caged...As for this "cage aggressive" stuff. I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.
This is why you haven't seen it. Many of us with rabbits that were once caged (even if they aren't now) know what it is and means. One of my rabbits (Patches) was cage kept in a tiny cage for about the first 2 years of his life. This was in a petstore and thus he never got out to play at all. He was rather cage aggresive. He is a house rabbit now with access to a cage as his private place. Even though he is no longer forced to stay in a cage he still feels the need to defend it if he's in there and I put my hand in. However he is MUCH less aggresive then he was and I no longer fear having to take things in and out of his cage. When out of his cage he is sweet and gentle.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Well there would be no way of him having free range for our house. We have cats and dogs and it just wouldn't work out at all. As in for my room...my parents would never go for just letting her run around. Even if I did have my bunny free range in my room my guineapigs cage has no cover so the rabbit would end up jumping in and...it just wouldn't be good.
We told you what the problem is and told you how to fix it.

Living outside is not a good option.

You have a lot of reasons and excuses for not even trying. Whether they are valid of not I don't know but you cannot be certain of anything until you try. Doors can be closed and gates installed to protect from dogs and cats, guinea pig cages can have lids put on them, responsible behaviour can be used to modify parents' beliefs.

This rabbit is relying on you and you alone to make it's life worth living. Whether you do or not is up to you.

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
This is why you haven't seen it. Many of us with rabbits that were once caged (even if they aren't now) know what it is and means.

Ok, correction: Mine were caged for a period of time before I bought them. I just meant I never caged them. (Sorry)

Even though he is no longer forced to stay in a cage he still feels the need to defend it if he's in there and I put my hand in.

Ah I see. Ok, you convinced me! I was thinking "cage aggressive" meant something else. I have seen where they are not happy when you reach in to grab them, for sure. My friend's bunny is definitely like that. He's very protective of that space.

As for your most recent post, all I can say is AMEN SISTER!!!!!!!! I couldn't have said it better! BRAVO!

Martina

Cavy Slave
I agree with you guys 100% but for now, to get the bunny at least some play time is better then nothing, and absoloutly better then being outside.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I know you say you can't give your rabbit the sort of space people here are suggesting but maybe you could improve it a little bit?

Here are my suggestions:

1) Go through all the stuff in your house, from top to bottom (with your parents permission of course) You don't even need to mention the rabbit at this stage - maybe tell them you just want to do some spring cleaning... Go through all your stuff and get rid of anything you don't need, e.g. old toys, clothes nobody wears, etc. Then, when you can't possibly get rid of any more, rearrange things and improve storage. That way you should find you have more space available. (Hopefully your parents will be grateful for making their house tidier!)

2) Buy some cubes. Even if you can't make the cage as big as you would like, make it as big as possible to fit in the space you do have. It may turn out to be only a few inches bigger than the cage you already have, but any improvement is better than nothing. If you join the cubes using cable ties instead of connectors you can make it fit perfectly. (That's why my cavy cage is 2 and a half by 4)

3) Like you said yourself - give your rabbit as much time out of his cage as possible. Even if that means getting up early to let him play for half an hour before school.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but I will try. Good luck!

Djakarta

Cavy Slave
You mention that you have a guinea pig- how big is that cage? Is it a C&C ?

If you have the guinea pig cage on the floor then you may already have space enough to construct a very nice space for your rabbit.

Elevate your guinea pig cage by at least 2 grids. This will create a cage space that opens to the floor for your rabbit. ( It also puts the guinea pigs out of reach of the rabbit.)

See below my set up for my rabbit fosters. The guinea pig cage is the upper level ( a 2 by 5- but a 2 by 4 or even a 2 by 3 would work). The lower level opens to the floor and connects to an x pen. You wouldn't necessarily need the x pen, if you bunny proof your room.

There is a shelf in the C&C for the bunnies to enjoy some vertical space.

anewsetupcopy.jpg

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Ok I will try to improve my rabbits cage and give her more and lots more of playing time. My guineapigs cage yes they are C&C cages and one is a 3x3 and one is a 2x5. I will try to get her into a bigger enviroment.

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Ok I will try to improve my rabbits cage and give her more and lots more of playing time. My guineapigs cage yes they are C&C cages and one is a 3x3 and one is a 2x5. I will try to get her into a bigger enviroment.

Keep trying! :cheerful: