Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oh no! Help!

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
My piggers are fairly new to me, so when they are in thier hiddie house, they chase each other in it, they make low brrrrrrrrrrring sounds, they have also been weaking at each other, and because I am still new too the piggie thing, I think I herd teath chattering. But that was for only a second! Please help:weepy: ! Thanks in advansed;) .

-Bina

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Teeth chattering is fine as long as it's not angry and continuous. Your pigs were probably just annoyed at each other for whatever reason.

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks for your help cavy-cool-crazy

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
There are 2 very different "teeth" communications with cavies.

Teeth chittering is normal piggie conversation. My pigs do it to me all the time (especially during lap time) and it is a sign of contentment.

Teeth chattering is much louder and is a sign of aggression. This means one of your piggies was telling the other to back off, get out of their face, etc. or they may go at the other pig.

Your piggies are most likely sorting out who's higher on the dominance chain. This is completely normal. Only separate your piggies if there is bloodshed.
The "brrrrring" sounds are called rumble-strutting. This is typically a mating call between a boy and girl piggie. Girl piggies will also do this to other girls to sort out dominance. There may also be humping (between girls). That is also normal.
Hope this helped. Post if you've got more questions.

Johanna

Cavy Slave
my males act like that all the time. The only time I ever had a problem is when I had two dominant males together in a small cage. They beat each other up pretty bad. They usually wont cause any damage to each other once they have established a dominance hierarchy. make sure your cage is big enough also. you dont want them fighting over space, or you will have a problem!

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much Kat and Johanna! They are starting to cuddle in thier igloo!

YAY!

-Bina

Binas Cavys

Cavy Slave
Oh thier cage is 8.3 sq feet! That is over the minimum, it was going to be bigger but we got the worng size.

-Bina

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.