Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oh my! Peanut's climbing OUT!! Help!

Guinea-Newbie

Cavy Slave
We're total newbies here (I had piggies as a child, but that was quite some time ago!) and we just brought our first two little girls home yesterday. We had bought them a huge cage at the store, but promptly found this website and quickly decided to switch to a C&C cage...soooooo...I built one this afternoon and we're THRILLED with it, BUT Peanut just climbd out! I didn't think they did this!! What do you suggest we do? Peanut's about 8 weeks old, Sluggy is a bit smaller/younger, although she hasn't been inclined to go anywhere yet.

We have coroplast just 6" up the sides...would adding more around the edges (say 12 to 14") do the trick? If so, how long would we need to keep this in place?

Thanks to anyone who can give us advice, and thanks especially for the great cage ideas...our pigs are surely the luckiest on the block!

That is great that you got new pigs, did you rescue them? I also have a guinea pig named Peanut. I am not sure about the walls, but if they are small you should put the walls higher because you would have to baby proof it..I think. Goodluck.

Yes, you might want to baby proof it until she gets bigger. Take cardboard or extra coroplast and add another 6 inches to the wall height.

I tried to get the kids to go with "Peanut", "Butter" & "Jelly", but our wild card child replied he'd be naming his "Sluggy", thank you very much. Thus, we have Peanut and Sluggy so far, and Jelly has yet to be found.

We didn't rescue them, although we spent quite a bit of time searching for them. One we bought from a lady who was selling them from her home (horrible, horrible conditions for the poor little guys, but they were in good health and it was hard to walk away from Peanut knowing she'd have to continue living like that). Anyway, I'm not sure we did the right thing with her, but we did it none-the-less. Sluggy we bought from a local farm supply store that gets all their pigs locally. She's really, really cute and has unusual markings, kind of striped with brown and cinnamon. Anyway, they were the calmest we could find, and we passed up many in the process.

I just finished adding another 6" of coroplast all around their cage...hopefully that'll keep them in. Any ideas when it's safe to remove that?

She's 8 weeks old? I have a 3 month old that is calm enough and does not try to escape. But if she knows how to do it, she may continue to do it for a long time.

You could put a cover over the cage. That would definatly prevent her from escaping.

Yeah, you could make a cover that either lifts totally off when your around to supervise or it just lifts up like a door.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.