Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oh great...

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Sad sad day.

I came back from the beach to find my poor Roo huddled in a corner. I checked and he had a huge lesion on his left cheek. I noticed that it was Piglet and Eeyore because when he went to get water, they went up and bit him. So since there was bloodshed, I separated. It gets worse. I checked his belly and it was COVERED in pee. No not covered, SOAKED! I gave him a bath but I'm afraid he has some perm. staining because he's white. I am working on getting him some vet bed possibly for a fraction of the cage where his pigloo is. Any thoughts?

:guilty: :ashamed: :weepy:

To make it even better (Sarcasm) I've been told that the lesion is most likely from mites and that the pee is from a UTI.

Who told you that? The pee can be from Roo laying in his own urine for a while. The lesion could be from several causes.

I see lisam and Lynx said that over at gl, they said he may possibly have a UTI and it could be a self inflicted lesion. Your best bet is to take him to the vet for a good checkup.

He's going on Wednesday (Soonest they had) and let me tell you, the approx. vet bill is high. $117.85!!! :expressio That took a bite out of my paycheck. They are going to do a urinalysis, a check up, and a skin mites injection if they find mites in a scraping.

Oh and sorry about making it sound like they said it was definatley a UTI. I meant they said it could possibly be one.

:ashamed: :ashamed:

Skip the skin scraping. Just give him a dose him for mites anyway. The skin scrapping will just serve to hurt your pig and might not even work properly.

When Tomoyo had a lesion that we weren't sure where it came from they dosed her with Revolution and gave me a topical ointment for her wounds.

That and the treatment for conjivitis came out to almost $300.00 CAD. But they are the only vets in the area that treat exotics. I couldn't even find another vet in my area.

I agree, skip the skin scraping. Most of the time it doesn't show mites anyway because they might not scrape the exact area where the mites may be. Just ask the vet if he/she will give your pig ivermectin, it won't hurt your pig even if he doesn't have mites. Also please go easy on the smilies. The rule is that you aren't supposed to use them in more than 10% of your posts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.