Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Official Harry Potter Book 7 Discussion - SPOILERS!

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Oh, and as far as additional books....

SPOILER>>>>

The epilogue was a bit lame - mainly because she tried to cram so much info into just a couple of pages. I agree that was so she didn't feel that she had to write 7 more books to explain that voldemore was really gone and everyone lived happily everafter.

I do see a lot of room for additional books - not about Harry, really - but about the other characters or the kids mentioned in the epilogue - like a 2nd generation.

However, without the supreme evil of Voldemore, not sure how good those books would be if simply about a bunch of teenagers going to school together.

I would love to see her revisit the series through other characters lives - mainly Neville Longbottom, especially given the prophecy. I think he is the most interesting character aside from the super-main ones. It'd be interersting to me to explore his early life, his home life with his gran and also how he transforms from a pretty pitiful character in the beginning of the series to the strong man he is in the end.

I think at first, he was 'unworthy' of being 'chosen' by Voldemort like Harry was. BUT, at the end of the series, maybe he is just as pure of heart and strong as Harry is afterall...

Lemonjello

Cavy Slave
Excellent post, Katie. :) Very insightful.

I had about the same experience, except I didn't read the book straight through. I took breaks in order to let the story sink in. I took two guinea pig breaks, one was a veggie chopping/feeding break and one was a grass cutting break.Then there was the dog feeding break.

The best part was it the perfect reading weather. Although it is July, the temp outside was 59 degrees and I had a purring kitty and a quilt.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
SPOILER ALERT - I finished the book

I really liked the book.. It took me 12 hours to read.. but thats only because I read really slowly (in order to get the full effect and not miss anything) and because my grandma was coming in every five minutes asking me if anything interesting had happened.

There we some parts that I think she went a little overboard on.. I think she could have got rid of some of the camping scenes and added a bigger epiloge. The epiloge for me was not written well.. something about it just didn't grab my attention..

Now onto what I think of what happened to the characters..

Harry- Im glad that she had him kinda die.. but then come back..

Ron and Hermione- It was great that they got to be a little more involved.. and of course that he ended up together.

Neville- SOO happy that Neville killed the snake.. but pissed off that he wasn't the one to kill Bellatrix. Its great that he became the Herbology teacher though.

Luna- I can't believe she wasn't mentioned in the epiloge.. that made me mad.

Voldemort- Did anyone think he died to easily? I mean.. that sure wasn't much of a battle.. It seemed as if a first year could have killed him once the horuxes we destroyed.. lol

Lupin and Tonks- This is the main thing that pissed me off... like.. majorly.. I think that maybe they are the two that died in anothers place.. but I would really like to know who that other person was.. Tonks was one of my favorite characters.. and that... just sucked.

Missing stuff-

Ok.. where was the time travel? I read somewhere that they were supposed to go back in time or something..

What were Harry's parents jobs?

Who was the person to do magic late in life?

It seemed as if Lily hated James.. why did she marry him?

What happened to the Dursleys and Hermiones parents?

There are just so many missing scenes and missing characters.. especially in the epiloge..

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I didn't even think about what happened to the Dursley's, but that's a good question.

Was Victorie (in the epilogue) supposed to be the kid of Fleur and Bill? I didn't read that part too closely, I guess, because I'm still unsure about that.

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
I think that Ron was the character who got a reprieve. There was so much foreshadowing to his death, it seems like JKR just crumpled under pressure and decided not to kill him last-minute. After I read the scene where Harry couldn't take his eyes off Ron's empty bunk as if it were a dead body, and then a paragraph down says, "He's gone, he's gone, he's gone and he's not coming back." It completely broke with the continuity of foreshadowing to Sirius and DD's deaths.

I was also sad for the lack of good quotes. The only one that I enjoyed was when Hermione shouted at Harry, "Are you a wizard, or what?" It immediately made me think back to Book 1, when Hermione couldn't think of what to do the light fire to scare away the devil's snare, and Ron yelled, "Are you a witch or not?"

wolfie

Cavy Slave
SPOILER ALERT- I finished the book- details included in the post!

Halfway through the book, I wasn't so sure I liked it. I also thought there were too many camping scenes and when Ron left I was so irritated I put the book down. I also found Lupin's behavior very jarring. But- as soon as Neville came out of the passageway, I was totally hooked and loved all of the action that followed.

I hated that Lupin and Tonks died, they were also two of my favorite characters and poor little Teddy- but at least we got a glimpse of him in the epilogue. I was bothered most by the death of Fred. The mischievous and brilliant antics of Fred and George were some of my favorite parts of the books.

Neville- It would have satisfied my thirst for vengeance if Neville would have taken out Bellatrix. But I love that fact that it was Neville who pulled Godric Gryffindor's sword form the sorting hat this time and smote the serpent. I actually enjoyed the battle between Molly and Bellatrix. Molly has always seemed to be the competent, nurturing, nagging, overprotective wizarding mom, so it was nice to see her show her stuff- like a true warrior.

Dumbledore- Learning about his personal history just increased my respect for him- I'm glad he was indeed another imperfect human. And it demonstrated his most valuable power- the ability to understand the frailties of human nature.

Voldemort- Even after the horcruxes were destroyed, he was powerful enough that it would have taken a Dumbldore to kill him. McGonagall, Slughorn and Kinglsey were unable to kill him together- and none of them were slouches in the magic department. I think it is perfect that in the end- he killed himself.

I also wish there would have been less camping and more epilogue. Particularly about Luna as well as a few others. I also wondered about "Victorie", but since Ron would never tolerate one of his children having a "Viktor" like name, I think she must be Bill and Fleur's child.

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
Guys! I havn't finished the book and I was just looking around skipping the spoilers, and a certain person let something slip that happens in the end, and now I'm a little ticked. If it really didn't happen then thats fine, just... Gah. Be careful okay guys?

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
SPOILER: I HAVE FINISHED THE BOOK

I'm not seeing what you are talking about...my suggestion: stay off the computer until you are done reading. I was part way through when I saw on facebook some friends of mine joined a group called "so and so dies on page whatever" (can't remember the specifics)...there is a lot of spoiler info out there. At least this thread specifically says SPOILER on it so you can avoid it. Go enjoy you book and see us when you are done.

At any rate, the book finished as it should have. No one will be 100% pleased with all of it, but I think it wrapped up how it was supposed to. I wonder what James Potter Jr's middle name would be....my guess would be Sirius. He seemed to inherit the cheekiness that his grandfather and father had that is for sure.

As for Lily not liking James immediately....that is how it always goes. Look at Ron and Hermoine...they have had a love hate thing going on forever! Sometimes it is that passionate anger that creates passionate love. I am glad Snape was redeemed and I love that Neville after everything finally found who he was meant to be. After all he's been through. I love Neville.

At any rate, I am very satisfied with the last book and am starting at number 1 to read it all again

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Catzeye, don't blame us for posting spoilers. It is clearly stated in the first topic in this thread that spoilers can and will be posted. If you want to avoid them all together, do what I did. Stay off the internet until you are finished.

And I agree with Wolfie, the epilogue was dodgy, I wanted to know what happened to the Weasley's, to the Dursley's, (hey, at least we know why Petunia hated magic so much)...she crammed too much into too short of a book in my opinion. The epilogue alone should have been twice as long as it was. And yes, way way too much camping.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
uhhhh..yeah....that's why Vj said- this is a spoiler thread.......I liked it in general but what happened to Madam Maxine? What happened to the other schools joining in? Wasn't Goblet of Fire all about uniting the schools? I expected them to come. I was ticked you didn't hear about Luna at the end too. I was hoping she would end up with Neville but then again Dean was taking care of her in the book too in several scenes. I wanted to hear more about Hogwarts too. I couldn't get enough of what the students had been enduring. Kreachers change was unexpected but I didn't hate it. It made sense that he went to Miss Cissy and Miss Belle because they were kind to him-Dumbledore did warn Harry about Sirius not showing him compassion. I was sad when I read about Colin Creevy dying, the poor kid idolized Harry. I agree that the death scenes should have been written better. I should have cried when Fred died-I love Fred & George-yet I didn't. It wasn't done well enough. I am reading it again slower too this time, trying tp pick up any details I may have missed. I agree-too much time in the woods.

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
Spoiler! I finished the book!

Okay I didn't really finish the book but I don't know where the whole fred dying part is.
I'm just saying howiethegreat... Add a big SPOILER: I finished the book! at the top of your post is all. =/ I thought you were just responding to me looking at the top of your post so I read the whole thing and I didn't know that Fred died.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
I cannot-too much time has elasped for me to edit it-or else I would. I realized I forgot to add it after too much time had passed. That being said-if you come on here at all before finishing the book, then you are asking to have the book spoiled. I stayed off the internet until I was done for this very reason. I mean good grief. Read the book then talk about it. I hardly feel sorry for you, you are asking to have the book ruined for you if you come on here where people are speaking about the book and you aren't finished. It was clear in my first sentence that I was not addressing anyone in particular.

Last edited:

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
The title of the thread is OFFICIAL Harry Potter Book 7 DISCUSSION. With spoilers! If you don't want to know get out of the thread. Sheesh!

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
SPOILER ALERT! I finished the book.

I liked the book, but I thought the ending was crammed full of references to the past books -- the basilisk fangs from the Chamber of Secrets, the Sorting Hat giving Neville the sword (although yay Neville for taking out the snake!), the DA coins still in use, the Room of Requirement being used to sneak people in, Hogshead as a meeting place. It would have been nice if these nods to the rest of the series had been spread out more rather than crammed into two chapters at the end.

Dumbledore -- I too, liked that he was flawed. We all are. And it's so easy to get caught up in what you believe to be more worthier causes and not see that you're starting to go down the wrong track (that friend of his who's name begins with a "G." Hubby has the book with him right now.).

Fred and George -- can she just dump on the Weasleys one more time now? I mean, really. Ginny gets possessed, Ron is poisoned, Mr. Weasley is attacked by that snake, Bill is severely scared for life, Mrs. Weasley's brothers were killed in action during Voldemort's first reign. I was mad Fred died, and that another Weasley is maimed.

Tonks and Lupin -- Yes, let's make them happy, give them a baby, then kill them off, along with Tonks' father. At least Tonks should have lived. Who raised Teddy? Andromeda? That would make his childhood similar to Neville's. His parents in the condition they are in are as good as having dead parents.

Snape -- Good riddance. Order of the Phoenix member or not, he was a real jerk to everyone. I could have tolerated him better if he was simply aloof and cold. Although I wonder if another reason Snape might hate Harry is because of his love for Lily. The whole "I resent him because if things had gone differently that could have been my kid." Probably a stupid theory, but...

I liked seeing other people's Patronuses. I wonder what mine would be? I have this fondness for dragons, would I have a dragon-shaped one?
:)

Last edited:

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Well, I just finished it. I've enjoyed reading all the reactions to it. I'm pretty easy. I liked it. Potential for a really good movie.

My only comment is that I saw a few LOTR parallels that seemed like prep for the movie. Can't remember them all now, but there were a few.

Lemonjello

Cavy Slave
Lord of the Rings

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
It's funny you would say that, because I thought the same thing. I hope she did not write it with a movie base in mind. I was really disappointed about the Order of the Phoenix movie. The book was so well written and the movie was inaccurately rushed.

ellenvega

Cavy Slave
Someone somewhere made a perfect comment about the movies vs. books. Consider the movies a 'trailer' for the books. Then you won't be so disappointed. :)

But I agree the movies could be so much better! I want every page acted out, but I can see why they don't do that.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
I won't go into detail but I LOVED IT!!! I thought deathly hallows was brilliant, I literally couldn't put it down and I thought she rounded everything off perfectly. At times I literally punched the air and yelled "Yes!" in jubilation. One very satisfied customer. lol