Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Wheezing Odd noise. Worried about a possible URI or heart disease.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
For a few evenings over the past month, one of my pigs has made a hooting/wheezing/cooing noise, not really something I can pinpoint. The first time it did sound like the hooting from a heart pig, but it has become more wheezing/broken when I heard it yesterday.

It only happens when I'm about to go to bed, lights out & when the pigs are resting, not eating or any other part of the day. The noise is repeated for 5-20 minutes, and then it stops. I've tried to figure out which pig it is but as soon as I try to look over the cage it stops. I suspect one of them based on their "voice" though.

None of them have any other symptoms, no weightloss, change in appetite or behavior, which is why I've up til now just kept a close eye on them, especially as the good vet clinic here has had a few issues lately & are not able to see as many animals. I have an appointment next week.

It sounds like a mix of the wheezing from a URI, cooing of a sleepy pig, and the hooting of a heart pig.
The pig I suspect is the source of the sound was spayed a few weeks ago. If it was a heart condition, wouldn't that cause either death or difficulty waking her up? She was extremely quick to come around after surgery.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
It doesn't always happen that way.

However, continue to keep an eye on her. If she exhibits any other unusual behavior have her checked out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.