Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Obsession over hay?

CrazedHoosier

Cavy Slave
How much hay do Guinea Pigs typically eat in a day? I use 2 different hays which are Orchard and Timothy, yet they go through both of them in a day! They'll eat the orchard like its a delicacy and then eat the Timothy down to the bottom! Is this normal, or should I be concerned about weight gain?

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
This is absolutely normal! You should supply all the hay they can eat. Supplement with a variety of the right vegetables, but the main course for your pigs should be hay.

Pigs will never get fat on hay.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
When they are leaving hay, you gave them enough.

miniver

Cavy Slave
I feed Orchard and Timothy as well. I'm always amazed at how much two little fuzz balls can eat! In three weeks I will go thorough one 40oz bag and one 15oz bag. When I first got them I had one 15oz bag on hand and I thought I was all set for the month.lol

dearpokey

Cavy Slave
I did the same, and I was also surprised at what these guys could put away in a day, let alone in a few hrs. That's why I only feed mine unlimited Bluegrass hay. KMS' 25# BG only lasted me about 4.5-5months. This time I bought the honker 45#. Anyway, I hated storing 2 types of hay

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
Perfectly normal!

My two can eat a LOT of hay. That's why it is good for them to have hay 24/7. Piggies need that much hay to help with their digestive system, wearing of the teeth, ect.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
There can never be too much hay!

100 0774

surlypiggy

Cavy Slave
I have that same fleece, [MENTION=27327]lunarminx[/MENTION]!

aqh88

Cavy Slave
How much hay do Guinea Pigs typically eat in a day?
A LOT. lol They eat quite a bit more than my ~2lb dwarf rabbits. All of a sudden my box of hay I'd been making steady progress on was just gone when I added the guinea pigs.

Celine Chorney

Cavy Slave
I've redone my cage and now my piggs have a standing hay rack (bent grids) and a hay pan that they can go in. It's raised so the hay stays clean. I've noticed they eat so much more now. I'd say probably two - three large handfuls now

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I've redone my cage and now my piggs have a standing hay rack (bent grids) and a hay pan that they can go in. It's raised so the hay stays clean. I've noticed they eat so much more now. I'd say probably two - three large handfuls now

I'm curious what you mean by "it's raised" ? Can you post a pic of your raised hay pan so I can see what you mean?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
I feed Orchard and Timothy as well. I'm always amazed at how much two little fuzz balls can eat! In three weeks I will go thorough one 40oz bag and one 15oz bag. When I first got them I had one 15oz bag on hand and I thought I was all set for the month.lol
Your hay lasts that long?! I get a 57.6 bag and it lasts a little less than two weeks for two pigs!

miniver

Cavy Slave
I mostly have the hay in a bin in the kitchen and they don't spoil that much. By "much" I mean no more than half. :rolleyes: They rather lie on the fleece than in the litter box on the hay pile. Otherwise, I know I would be using more.

I think the bag of hay makes a big difference. Sometimes I'll get a bag that's nice and green and other times there are more pieces and dust. I think that's true of all brands and types.