Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oat hay quality?

livandlovit

Cavy Slave
I finally found some oat hay at PJ's Pets in Richmond, BC (1 lbs for $9.99). I'm wondering about the quality. The brand is Living World, and all the hay in the bag are short, broken up pieces, light tan in color. They're not long and soft like timothy hay. Lots of it falls right through my hay rack.

Is this what oat hay is supposed to look like? Does anyone know what Oxbow brand oat hay looks like? I want to keep using it because it's definitely better for my allergies but if this is bad quality, I'll order Oxbow oat hay and shell out for the shipping cost. Thanks for the help!

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of that brand of hay before. I buy all oxbow hay, and I have never had any of my hay come brown before or in short pieces.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Oat hay is brown, stalks are thicker and light tan in color. Maybe some green, but it's mostly brown. Same is true of Oxbow Oat hay. Really good oat hay has a very sweet smell to it.

And I wouldn't recommend feeding only oat hay. It's okay to feed a 50/50 mix of oat and something like orchard grass, but I'd not feed solely oat.

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
I just finished my bag of oat hay from Oxbow, and it was primarily green. Perhaps just the luck of the draw, but it was so sweet smelling. I'm actually dissapointed we finished it! The house smells so good when we have that kind of hay.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
For reference, this is the oat hay I get from a local farm out here. It's really fresh and smells so sweet I almost wish I could eat it.

100_9733.jpg

100_9734.jpg

MyZoo2

Cavy Slave
Paula, I must say I am extremely jealous that you can fresh oat hay from a local farm. I bet you get a great deal on the price compared to buying it prepackaged.

livandlovit

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for your replies! It's pretty clear to me now that I've got a really crummy bag of oat hay. I'll be ordering some Oxbow brand from the Canadian Pet Connection. I've missed out on getting any hay from the local farms, so hopefully in the spring I will be able to find a place that grows and sells this type. If I mix it half/half with orchard or timothy hay, my allergies might not be so bad.

(Speaking of allergies, I'm researching a type of treatment that is not drugs or allergy shots, and is completely non-invasive and supposedly able to eliminate most allergies in one or two treatments. I'll post a different thread once I find out more).

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Paula, I must say I am extremely jealous that you can fresh oat hay from a local farm. I bet you get a great deal on the price compared to buying it prepackaged.
Ha. When I went to take a picture of it, it was a lot more green than I remembered. And I am VERY lucky to have access to so many hay farms out here. I can get virtually any kind imaginable - and at competitive prices.

I've missed out on getting any hay from the local farms, so hopefully in the spring I will be able to find a place that grows and sells this type.
Local feed stores might have some in your area. Might be worth a try anyway.

And if allergies are a concern, I wouldn't use timothy at all if you can get orchard grass instead. My husband is allergic to the timothy - miserably so - but has no issues with the orchard (or oat).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.