Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Oat Hay Haters?!?

Bernice

Cavy Gazer
I needed to spend a few extra dollars to get free shipping on Chewy.com, so I decided to get an additional small bag of Oxbow in addition to the big bag of orchard grass I was already buying. Timothy hay triggers my allergies, and alfalfa isn't appropriate for my adult sows, so it was between the oat hay and the botanical hay. I went with oat hay since botanical is timothy (although I'm sure going through a small bag wouldn't bother me too much), and I liked the fact that it was crunchier than the orchard grass.

I filled the hay rack up with orchard grass this morning, and topped it off with oat hay once my shipment arrived. My pigs are pretty receptive to anything I introduce and have not seemed to be very picky at all so far (I've had them for 3 months, found on the side of the road so I don't know anything about their history). They seemed to be picking through the hay rack looking for the orchard grass, but I figured they'd try the oat hay soon enough.

When I checked on them later, they had pulled ALL of the oat hay out of the rack and it is strewn all over the cage!! They made SUCH a mess of their (recently cleaned) cage, LOL. Okay, I get it -- you guys don't like oat hay! Haha.

Anyone else's pigs hate that kind of hay? I read through the reviews on Chewy and they're mostly positive. At least I can take it to my barn and give it to the horses as a treat, I'm sure I'll find someone to eat it!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.