Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting NY- What does adoption usually require?

nousername

Cavy Slave
I plan to adopt another guinea pig for my Robbie, but I wonder if adaption ask for S.S or driving license or any sort of ID.

I'm extremely terrified of identity thief after they used my info to purchase tons of stuffs from online. Plus, rescues are not government funded, they are private organization.

Please give ideas and experience, thanks

Last edited:
I've adopted from two rescues and one shelter in my area. I don't think the rescues checked my ID. They shelter did though.

No social security number required for all three I've been to.

Last edited:
We adopted from Have-a-heart. They cover NJ, parts of PA and have some fosters in NY. They had a questionaire but did not ask for sensitve information. When we got to the foster home, we gave cash and got a contract and a receipt.

Our pound asked for ID but didn't write the number down. Did a records check on our property based on our address (to confirm whether renting or owning). Our rescue had a lengthy form but no SSN or other sensitive information. Both the rescue and the pound require that we sign a contract, and reserve the right to come see the pigs, so they do know where to find us, so to speak.

Other option is Craig's List if you want to be able to pay cash and not have a record left.

Hi, recently I adopted this piggy Petfinder Adoption Pending Guinea Pig | Guinea Pig | Budd Lake, NJ | Petunia . I'm also from NY, we drove about 2 h to Budd Lake NJ. Ask them for an application and you'll see, they ask questions only about how you plan to take care of your new piggy and things like that (vet phone number, types of food, size of cade, type of bedding ...).
I still write them updates about Petunia and they are very happy to know how she is doing. When I was there, I felt there love for the rescued pets.
I sow this boy in person, he is so cute, adopt him if you can :love:Petfinder Adoptable Guinea Pig | Guinea Pig | Budd Lake, NJ | Ginger Bacon

and I forgot to mention. There is a question if you rent or own. If you rent, they might ask for copy of your lease, but I gave my landlord phone number. They need to know if you are aloud to have pets if you rent. They didn't ask me for ID or any other personal info. I signed the contract and payed rescue fee (donation) in cash.

Craigslist doesn't allow animal adoption, selling and buying listings. They always delete the listings when people report them.

I'm thinking about Heart-a-Heart as well, and have already emailed them. But they still haven't responded yet.

@captaincavymon, how many times did you visit the foster home before the adaption? and where can I find the questionaire? Do I need to fill out online first?

Craigslist do allow rehoming of animals. They do not allow breeders selling on their site. If the ads sound like breeders, users can flag them.

@nousername , You can get piggies from Craig's List -- they don't allow breeders or people doing it commercially to post. People who want to adopt their pigs out, and even charge a rehoming fee, are allowed to do it.

(sorry lissie, I posted a same time!)

Hi, recently I adopted this piggy Petfinder Adoption Pending Guinea Pig | Guinea Pig | Budd Lake, NJ | Petunia . I'm also from NY, we drove about 2 h to Budd Lake NJ. Ask them for an application and you'll see, they ask questions only about how you plan to take care of your new piggy and things like that (vet phone number, types of food, size of cade, type of bedding ...).
I still write them updates about Petunia and they are very happy to know how she is doing. When I was there, I felt there love for the rescued pets.
I sow this boy in person, he is so cute, adopt him if you can :love:Petfinder Adoptable Guinea Pig | Guinea Pig | Budd Lake, NJ | Ginger Bacon

Actually I live in a three stories house(under my parents' name), so it should be okay.

I hope you'll get Ginger Bacon. He is so cute :love: I can't forget him :guilty:

@nousername , You can get piggies from Craig's List -- they don't allow breeders or people doing it commercially to post. People who want to adopt their pigs out, and even charge a rehoming fee, are allowed to do it.

(sorry lissie, I posted a same time!)
Oh, I see. I didn't know because I don't see much adoption listing on there. Thanks for clearing it up=)

Go to the Have-a-heart webpage, they have listings on petfinder. (broken link removed)

The contact email is at the bottom of the page: [email protected]. Just send an email to her explaining what you are looking for, maybe give her a brief overview of your current situation. (I sent pictures of my current pig and the cage). She'll help you out from there, she'll email you a questionnaire (be prepared to give a few references). After reviewing your answers she may make suggestions on what pigs are being fostered in your area and ask about what type of pig you are looking for. In my case I got to meet the new pig and see if he was compatible with my current pig before committing to take him home. It was very easy.

Thank you so much, captaincavymom =)

I got the email from heartaheart already. I pretty much finished the questionaire=D
But, at the bottom, it asks "references", what should I provide?

You may be looking in the wrong section if you're not seeing pets up for adoption. The one where adoptions should be listed under Pets in the "Community" section.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.