Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Nursing

pmgor

Cavy Slave
My new guinea pig delivered 3 beautiful pups. They all seem active but she doesn't seem to want to nurse them. They were born about 2 hours ago. Should I worry?

Thanks! Maria

Are they nursing yet? Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are or not. The best thing is to leave them alone together--sometimes I even put a towel over the cage to give the mom more privacy. I believe that some new moms are so nervous that they kind of freeze up.

Do not worry.

A lot of first time moms have no idea what to do. They don't realize that those little babies depend on them, and it takes a little bit for the mothering instinct to kick in. Babies are born with enough reserve normally until mom's instincts do kick in, and it should be around 24-48 hours. Just because we don't always see mother nursing pups, it doesn't mean it isn't happening when we aren't looking. Do you have a scale? I would go buy a small kitchen scale to weigh them everyother day or so to make sure that the pups are gaining weight.

Do not forget to seperate sows from boars at 21 days when they become sexually mature and able to reproduce! Here is a page to help you sex them.
Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

I would appear that she is nursing them now although I can't see them. She is spending a lot of time in her igloo and they are all huddled up in there. When she comes out they come out too. It's incredibly cute. I'm in love with the little ones and it does look like she is a very good mom :)

Thank you for the information.

Maria

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.