Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Now my pig is all alone.. HELP!

emilyspiggies

Cavy Slave
I have/had 2 male pigs, Leo and Stanley. I (unfortunately) got them at a pet store about 2-3 years ago. They were extremely bonded and loved each other. Last night Leo passed away unexpectedly. Leo was the alpha male and always in charge and kind of took care of Stanley. Since Leo passed, Stanley hasn't ate, drank, or done anything. He just sits in the corner... It's very depressing to watch. I know guinea pigs are social animals, so I was wondering if I should slowly introduce a baby/young male into Stanleys life? I just want Stan to be a happy pig, and I don't know if adding a friend would be beneficial or not? Any form of help greatly appreciated!!!:weepy:

id suggest getting a new pig as soon as possible (and please adopt.)
(but im a newby so listen to some other people too.) GOOD LUCK WITH STANLEY!

But how do I go about bring a new pig into his life?

Aww, I'm very sorry for the lose. The best thing you can do for Stanley right now is to give him as much attention as you can. If he's not eating, you might have to hand feed him.

Edit: I'm not sure how long you should him morn before introducing a new friend, someone else will have to help with that one. But you should introduce them on neutrel ground, somewhere neither of them have ever been, and watch the entire time. Then, after they've been introduced succesfully, you can try to put them in the cage together. Clean the cage before hand, and make sure it's thoroughly scrubbed down before putting them in together.

Last edited:
you should probably get more cubes and divide the cage in half and sometimes (this MUST be supervised) let them be in the same area together (but be prepared to seperate them but NOT, directly)

remember, im just a newbie

you should probably get more cubes and divide the cage in half and sometimes (this MUST be supervised) let them be in the same area together (but be prepared to seperate them but NOT, directly)remember, i'm just a newbie.

I'm REALLY sorry about your loss:sorry:.

Guinea pigs are prey animals so they try and hide illnesses. I'd have Stanley checked by your vet to rule out an illness. The fact that he's not eating is worrisome. Since you don't know what Leo died from at a somewhat young age, there's a chance that Leo was sick and could have infected Stanley. I don't think I'd chance it.

Guinea pigs are prey animals so they try and hide illnesses. I'd have Stanley checked by your vet to rule out an illness. The fact that he's not eating is worrisome. Since you don't know what Leo died from at a somewhat young age, there's a chance that Leo was sick and could have infected Stanley. I don't think I'd chance it.

I agree with pinky you shouldn't risk it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.