Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Not using water bottle?

knackchaos

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,

My little ones are slowly but surely warming up and I catch them outside of their hide outs more. They've even started hanging out with each other, which I'm super happy about. However, I'm super worried that they aren't drinking any water. I've not seen them drinking from the water bottles and the water level in both of the bottles hasn't seemed to drop at all. The cage they were in before they came to me had a water bottle, so I assume they know how to use it...

How much water should I expect for them to drink? Is this normal? Should I be worried about this? I know they're getting some water from the lettuce I've given them, but is that enough?

I led my pigs over to the water bottle and touched the end so they realized water came out, and that was where they could drink. You can also put a heavy stoneware crock of water in the cage to see if they drink more that way. One way to check for dehydration is to pinch (gently) a fold of skin on their back. The faster is smooths out, the more hydrated they are. If it stays folded, then smooths out slowly, they are dehydrated.

Mufasa was confused about water bottles when I first got him, so I gave him both a bottle and a bowl. Initially he preferred the bowl, then one day he switched completely to the bottle. If you offer both options, you'll know your piggies are getting water and they'll hopefully start preferring the bottle one day.

Borat didn't drink much for the first several days after I got him, while Amy drank like a camel. from day one Yours might still be settling in.

my guinea pig knows how to use the water bottle but he bits the end of it to get water out instead of using his tounge. is that normal?

@knackchaos How long have you had them? Mine rarely drank the first week (but somehow managed to do okay anyway) and then after that they were fine.

@piggy1321 In my experience, they always seem to chew on or bite the end but I guess in the process some water drips out.

ok, i was just making sure that was ok. and about 6-7 months

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.