Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Parasites Not Sure

mrlgp

Cavy Slave
I have been noticing white specks on Herbie when I brush him but they don't seem to move. He has aspen shavings for bedding so I don't know if what I'm seeing is just dust from that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

amcashes

Cavy Slave
I would change you bedding to something without dust. Sounds like he may have some dry skin but to be honest with you I would have a vet visit to be on the safe side.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Mites are microscopic and are not visible to the naked eye so if you are seeing white specks, it's not mites. It could be dust from bedding, lice (if they don't move at all this could be ruled out) or just dandruff.

LightningPig1

Cavy Slave
If I'm not mistaken, they could be lice eggs. Lice eggs don't move but they are still white (more on the cream side) "specks" if you will.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.