Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Not sure what to do?

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
I think poor little Caramel has mites. She is not scratching more than usual but she does have some scabbies behind her ears and she scratched so hard it's bleeding now. I don't know what to do. She is going to the vet tomorrow but I don't want her to scratch that spot anymore.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
It sounds like mites to me. Poor mite. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.)

I don't really know what to suggest to stop her scratching the scabs. At least she's going to the vet tomorrow so you can ask then as well as get treatment.

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
Well she does not seem to be in any pain and she is still her lively little self. Eating and drinking fine. She was suppose to go friday but they bumped the appointment up to tomorrow cause I was in a panic.
I figure it's mites because when I pick her up I get little itchy bumps. weird thing is Lucille does not seem to have any and I don't get the bumps when picking her up.

chisky
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If she is scratching and has scabs, those are definite signs of mites. Bathing her is going to irritate it and make it worse. The bumps are most likely an allergy to the mites. While she is being treated, you might want to wear gloves and long sleeves. Lucille should be treated as well for mites. Check out http://www.guinealynx.com/mites.html for information on mites and links to how to treat them yourself.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Mites can cause an allergic reaction to people. You still need to treat all the pigs in the house even if they aren't showing signs.

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
Yes Both piggies are going to the vet. Here I have to get the vet to give me the advantage so I can treat them myself. Thank you for the link. I kind of figure when I got the rash it was fleas or mites because when My old cat hd fleas I broke out with the same symptoms. I imagine I am going to have to get some ointment to for the big cut on Caramel where she ripped off a piece of skin. I feel so bad for the little piggies.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Advantage kills lice, not mites. Revolution will work on both. Do NOT use frontline.

Sweet Pea

Cavy Slave
Revolution yes sorry I mentioned the wrong one. We are off in about 1 hour. I'll let you know how we make out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.