Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Not sure what to do and who to keep from the crew

ChristieB

Cavy Slave
I am so torn as to what to do. We had 2 piggies...suppose to be 2 girls, but nope, was one boar and one female. Of course this led to a pregnancy. We had 6 babies. I can now tell the genders and we have 4 boys and 2 girls. The 2 girls are also the 2 PEWS. Go figure! I was hoping to build a second C&C cage and instead of neutring Squeaks (the daddy), the just room a male baby with him and then keep a female baby for Smores. At the same time, I wanted to send off my babies in pairs leaving one female alone. Lastly, I have already fallen in love with 2 and go figure, they are both boys.

I thought that I read somewhere that 2 brothers, once mature, would fight more often then 2 boars that did not "grow up" together.

What do I do? My options are, keep one female which leaves me rehoming a female by herself, keep a baby boy, fix just him and leave him with mama (because I am sure she is more bonded to babies as opposed to Squeaks...although when I do put them down for floor time seperated by a grid wall, she does go over to see Squeaks (daddy) and tug at the wall and they do kisses through the holes. I could also fix Squeaks and have him back with Smores and then house 2 males together...but would they get along as brothers? And then there is my 7 year old who LOVES the one who looks just like his daddy, which is "her" piggie and cries at the thought of giving him up.

Would have been SO much easier if she was the norm and just had the 1-3 babies.

Male brothers will be fine together. The only rough spot may be puberty but you would have that problem regardless of relation.

In my opinion, I'd rehome the 2 girls babie together so you know they have a friend that is the same sex.

Keep the 2 male babies you want and rehome the other 2 together as well.

Then get your boar neutered so he can go back to living happily, and comfortably with your sow.

If you only want to/have the means to take care of 4 pigs, that would be my plan of action.

That looks like a great solution from Catahoula :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.