Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Not sure my next step...thought they were BOTH boars....

klp065

Cavy Slave
Hey guys I need some advice.

I am back on the forum after not being active for a few years. My two pigs I had before are no longer with us.

I have acquired two new additions. I was told they were both males. I got them when they were 9 weeks old. (same litter) I took them to their first vet appointment this week (they are now 10 weeks old). Well, my Percy is a female. Oops. I put a divider up in my 2x4 cage.

It has been horrible the past few days. I have been crying over these babies because they want to be together so bad. Wheeking their little behinds off. Shaking the divider. Trying to climb it. I have been so sad for them and my heart is breaking. They were perfect together.

Here is my dilemma. Do I wait another month and a half to get Peeta nuetered? Then three weeks to heal? Or should I find a good home for the female? I just want them both to be happy but they are miserable. Their personalities have completly changed and they just are plain depressed...which is pretty much how I am feeling.

If I do find a home for the female, how should I go about finding a board suitable for a 10/11 week old male?

Please any advice, suggestions would be great. I am at a loss. I tried talking to my friends about it, but they just don't understand piggies.

Thanks

Why would you rehome the female? She could be pregnant. How will you know if the new home will take good care of her and the babies? Wait to see if she is pregnant, if she has any boys, you can keep him with your male. If she only has girls, you can neuter the boy and he can live with the girls.

Welcome to the world of mistakenly-sexed piggy moms. We've had a raft of boars having babies on this board just since Christmas!

Percy is likely pregnant, and might be as much as six weeks along. If you can confirm that with an ultrasound, you can put them back together for a little while. Then, if she has any boys, they can move in with dad at 21 days of age.

I forgot to mention that I was going to see if she was pregnant. I would never rehome not knowing. The above situation was if she was NOT.

When do they start "showing?" Seven weeks?

From what I've heard, they may get a little pear shaped around the mid section and you would feel the babies moving closer to delivery. I agree with the above suggestion about waiting and then putting the boys in with dad and the girls with mom. Also, could you separate the cages and possibly move them away from eachother so they aren't trying to climb the walls? You cold always have the boy neutered now and then reintroduce him once he's healed and not able to get the girl pregnant. Even if she IS pregnant, you may want to do this anyways so they can be together. Good luck!

I would not put them back together even if she is pregnant for sure. She could have the babies at any time (miscarriage, early birth, etc) and go into heat directly afterwards, and become bred again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.