Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Not sure I'm loving fleece for the smaller cage. Help?

MissMalfoy

Cavy Slave
I started using fleece blankets for Rory after deciding that pet store bedding would not cut it (I used Boxo and aspen but they were both too expensive and too messy - I'd pick up Rory and he'd have tons of bedding stuck to him).

He spends most of his time in a store bought cage (when I'm asleep or at school/shopping/somewhere where I can't supervise him), and I find that the fleece blankets are just too much upkeep for that cage (but perfect for the C&C that he hangs out in when I'm in my bedroom, where he lives, doing my homework or watching TV). I mentioned in my intro thread that Rory is "special" and has balance issues, this makes the problem with HAY KICKED EVERYWHERE even worse so it ends up being really difficult to shake off the blankets before throwing them in the wash (I always find surprise hay left over in the washing machine).

So, with all of this excessive information, I'm wondering if anyone has some suggestions on what I might use instead for the smaller cage?

Why can he not be in the C&C all day? He needs to be able to exercise when ever he wants in his cage, not just when you are in your room. Can you possibly switch him to being in a C&C all day? How big is the store bought cage?

He could be in the C&C all day, but I don't feel comfortable leaving him unsupervised in it for long periods of time because it doesn't have a top and I have a cat (he never comes into the bedroom and Rory can't get out of the C&C cage, but I still feel really anxious about the WHAT IFS). He does spend a lot of time in it though.

His store bought cage is actually not very small, just not as big as the C&C (it's a cage my cousin used to use for her two bunnies). My vet actually told me it's better to keep him in the smaller space for most of the day because of his balance problems - I mentioned in my intro post that Rory had bacterial meningitis when I first got him, and the vet said because he can't walk properly the small space is enough exercise as long as he still gets a few hours in the bigger cage as well.

I hope I explained that clearly enough. I understand that guinea pigs need a lot of room for exercise all the time, and he definitely has enough room (not sure the exact dimensions at the moment, I'll have to measure).

Personally I would just put a top on the C&C. This would stop all the other issues. I have a cat and my guinea pigs are in the same room with him (The cage is in our living room). Making a top would stop the cat from getting at him. This in turn would stop the bedding issues and so on.

I'm sure there are many people who could give you tons of ideas on how to build a top.

I like Fresh News bedding. It's in pellet form but softer than Yesterday's News. It's also made out of paper.

Just use the white wire shelving for a lid on the C&C. That's how the store on this site does it, and my entire cage is made out of the wire shelving because of my cats.

I have been using woodshavings for my girls seems okay but messy so thinking on trying fleece.Hoping it is
easier to clean and less expansive even in the c&c cage. I don't know anything much about using fleece
either.

I am using shaving right know since I have them for my rat's.. I did try for one day using fleece; turnd out that skittles rather be under it than on top of it. and skittles is in a starter cage. since we have space ishues right know..

I think I might go to a papper bedding soon.

Personally I would just put a top on the C&C. This would stop all the other issues. I have a cat and my guinea pigs are in the same room with him (The cage is in our living room). Making a top would stop the cat from getting at him. This in turn would stop the bedding issues and so on.

I'm sure there are many people who could give you tons of ideas on how to build a top.

You would think this would be a fairly common sense idea, but of course I didn't think of it until someone suggested it. Thank you. Makes much more sense than having two cages. Although it would still be good to keep for when I'm changing the C&C or going on a long road trip (I don't imagine I would be but who knows?).

Or you can also use it for an upper loft area like some do, though I don't know if you piggy can go up ramps? I had an old store bought rat cage laying around and wanted to do something with it, so I attached it on three sides to the top of the cage very tight, then added a bent grid ramp leading into the cage. I also added some hay and pellets for them. They love running up and down it, and sleeping up there. :)

I would be way too nervous about him falling off a ramp because of his balance problems, which is a shame because I think he would like to use one. He sometimes tips over a bit when he's reaching for his water bottle or into his food dish, and he falls to his sides occasionally while walking. I could just see him walking up a ramp and tipping over and falling off. :(

I think I am going to make his C&C a lot bigger though so he can have lots of toys and tunnels and stuff. :)

No problem, sometimes that is all thats needed, suggestions ;)

The bent grid ramps have sides, so that they can't get over them, so I think your piggy would be fine even if he does have balance problems, if he falls to one side or the other, there are sides to keep him in. This is what my ramp looks like from the side so you can see what it looks like.

[GuineaPigCages.com] Not sure I'm loving fleece for the smaller cage. Help?[GuineaPigCages.com] Not sure I'm loving fleece for the smaller cage. Help?

Oh wow, I had no idea I could do all of that. I think I'll get to work on it after my next round of student loans comes in (could do it now but I feel safer having the emergency vet fund instead).

Glad we could help :) Its always a good idea to have a vet fund and hope you never have to use it. good luck with school and have fun piggie building when you get the supplies. Cant wait to see the pictures.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.