Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Diarrhea Not sure if this is diarrhea - any advice?

schavarry

Cavy Slave
I noticed this when I fed the piggies as I ran out the door, I finally remembered to post a pic now that I've got it on my computer...
[GuineaPigCages.com] Not sure if this is diarrhea - any advice?

I'm referring to the (poo?) spots on the coroplast wall... Anyone have anything like this happen before? Is it normal? Should I be concerned? THANKS!

*EDIT* If it's not poo, could it be urine? or boar glue? or something else entirely?

Got a female? Looks like she might have sprayed someone with pee.

The fleece looks like there are dark spots, too. I'd watch their urine to make sure none of them have blood in their urine. If you have an old white towel or tee shirt, I'd lay it under their pigloo and check in there occasionally to see if their urine is red.

Got a female? Looks like she might have sprayed someone with pee.
It's actually in my male's cage...

The fleece looks like there are dark spots, too. I'd watch their urine to make sure none of them have blood in their urine. If you have an old white towel or tee shirt, I'd lay it under their pigloo and check in there occasionally to see if their urine is red.
I will try putting a towel in there. I assumed the dark spots on the fleece were from him peeing over his poo (he always poops there too!) but if it's in his urine I guess a trip to the vet is in order! Thanks for the input!!

It's actually in my male's cage...

I will try putting a towel in there. I assumed the dark spots on the fleece were from him peeing over his poo (he always poops there too!) but if it's in his urine I guess a trip to the vet is in order! Thanks for the input!!

I had a female with a UTI and she splattered on the coroplast. A friend had given me some white fleece so I lined her cage with it so I could see what color her urine was. That's how I confirmed that it was blood. After her vet visit, I kept white fleece in there while she was on the antibiotics to monitor her urine. I was able to tell when her urine was normal again.

I just read this
NORMAL:
Urine may be clear to cloudy in color. Calcium compounds in the urine cause this cloudiness. Normal urine is not gritty in texture. Dried urine may leave powdery white calcium compounds. Very young guinea pigs often have an orange or brown tint to their urine. Urine sometimes changes to an orange color on standing (this may be the oxidation of porphyrins in the urine).

from https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#urine

My boy is less than 3 months old. Do you think it could just be a brownish tint of urine because he's young or do I need to take him to the vet tomorrow?

*Edit* he does NOT squeak when he pees which gives me hope it's not a UTI but I'm still unsure of what to do, I'm leaving a white towel in his cage tonight to see what happens. Thanks for the imput!

I just read this

from https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#urine

My boy is less than 3 months old. Do you think it could just be a brownish tint of urine because he's young or do I need to take him to the vet tomorrow?

*Edit* he does NOT squeak when he pees which gives me hope it's not a UTI but I'm still unsure of what to do, I'm leaving a white towel in his cage tonight to see what happens. Thanks for the imput!

That's possible. I found that the one with the UTI had darker urine when she had the infection and it turned a light orange after being treated with the meds. It was pale in color and not dark. Blood dries brownish. I'd still watch him closely and try and see what color the urine is when it's fresh and wet.

Both my girls have dark urine. It depends on their diet in this house anyway.

They get darker urine if they had a few extra carrots that day. Watch their vitamin A intake.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.