Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Not happy in cage?

Pretty Piggies

Cavy Slave
About a month ago I made my pigs their first c&c cage. They almost seemed happier in the pet store cage. :( In that cage they would run around and play tag. Whenever I see my cavys now they really don't do much. 4 times I saw Paddy almost try to scratch her shoulder with her nose and suddenly jump in the air, but that's all I've seen. :(

Is your C&C cage on the floor?

When I first put Rose's cage on the floor she was very scared, not used to that. Now It is up on a table and she is much happier. Might be worth a try to elevate it.

It takes a while for them to get used to their new cage. They are more likely to be more active when you aren't around.

beach_girl1988: Their cage has always been on the floor, even the petstore one was. Thank you though, someday I might try that.

Peggysu: Thanks, that's what I thought might be happening. I'll go guinea pig watching today. :)

It took my pigs almost a year to finally approach me without a treat in my hand. And one of my sows won't even take veggies from my hand even after 3 and a half years.

It took my pigs almost a year to finally approach me without a treat in my hand. And one of my sows won't even take veggies from my hand even after 3 and a half years.

Wow, that's crazy! I feel so lucky that Charlie is finally (felt like forever to me, in reality only had them about six weeks) taking a few 'treat treats' out of my hand!

Spread their favorite treats around the cage. If you've got sturdy hideys, then put some things on top. Rearrange the cage every so often, and leave paths of treats around.

And ditto beachgurl about putting it on stands or on a table if you can. You're not as scary to them that way, so they may be less likely to hide, and you can interact with them every time you walk by.

Above all, just be patient. Some pigs are very nosy and curious, others will be shy all their lives.

My two are weird. I've got one designated wheeker, who yells at me all the time to "BRING MORE FOOD!!" She's up at the side of the cage, waiting for me to hand it over. But she usually won't let me touch her in the cage, and trying to catch her is a real chore. The other one is very quiet, nearly always hiding under something, but will let me scritch her ears and sometimes her chin, and is very easy to catch.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.