Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Not good

Piggies&Kinz

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I am in the middle of an editing war with the person that placed that info. I delete it or change it and they change it back. If you have time please keep changing or removing the info. The person who placed it may get fed up and stop.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Heh, I edited and it hasn't changed.

EDIT: Dang it, nevermind. Im going to keep changing it too.

Edit again: Stupid person blocked me from editing. Heh, Im going to go use my other computer to do it.

Last edited:

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I would like to add that placing a post like this rather falls along the lines of the rule we have against certain videos and photos https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...ing-videos-photos-other-media.html#post313343

Do not place links like this without encouraging others to do something about it and having a plan of action. There is no point in everyone agreeing it's horrible but doing nothing about it.

Before people edit it they should first comment on it in the "discuss" section, report it as poor information (at the bottom) and encourage the admins of the site to remove it, THEN edit it. Eventually your IP will be banned as mine was and you won't be allowed to edit anymore so make as many hits against it as possible before that happens.

Last edited:

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Ok, this person has seriously just pissed me off. I cannot access any of the site from any of my computers now because of 'vandilism'. I also cannot contact an admin because I am blocked/banned.

If a member of the site could email an admin asking them to unblock IP address 24.32.170.81 I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and no one can edit the posts anymore, she blocked everything. I recommend emailing an admin about the post also.

TrekkiePiggies

Cavy Slave
May I ask what is wrong with taking a pig on a bike? For many folks I know, bikes and feet are their only mode of transport, since public transit often does not allow animals.

guineapigfan9000

Cavy Slave
Well... let's see. I wouldn't do it myself, but as TrekkiePiggies said some people don't have cars. People carry their babies/toddlers on bikes sometimes, so I guess it could be okay, depending on whether or not the babies/toddlers thing is deemed safe by Health & Safety.
I don't know why someone would make a specific article about how to carry a guinea pig on a bike though...

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
May I ask what is wrong with taking a pig on a bike? For many folks I know, bikes and feet are their only mode of transport, since public transit often does not allow animals.

Taking a piggy on a bike would only be appropriate as an absolute last available resource for getting to the vet in case of an emergency. Even then, I recommend getting a friend to drive you, calling a taxi, or finding some other mode of transportation. Guinea pigs are easily frightened by new environments and I'm sure a bumpy ride in a strange place with wind blowing and loud noises would not be a good experience, not to mention the obvious risks of accidents and injuries. Even if you don't ride in the street, if you fall over, your guinea pig could easily die. A guinea pig would be completely traumatized by a bike ride, I consider it animal abuse and nothing less.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I am editing it a little. I'll edit it little by little so when/if they undo it, only a little bit at a time gets undid.

Last edited:

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
There are more things on that site that are bad. Just search for guinea pigs.

John4216

Cavy Slave
To be fair that header of that article does say:

You can take your guinea pig on a bike ride in extreme emergencies. This article explains how. It also gives you important warnings.

And than further on it says:

Only do this as a last resort ( vet emergency or house evacuation without car, etc.)

So maybe they are at least trying to be helpful for those folks who have only feet/bikes as a way to transport and so they are not doing it to be malicious hopefully.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
I am the one who changed the header to that :). Check the history.

John4216

Cavy Slave
Oh, ok. Well disregard my post than.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
This one needs improvement:
(broken link removed)

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
YAY:

Reason: Accuracy issues. Please refer to the (broken link removed) for additional information.
Date: 2007-11-06

This article has been nominated for deletion. Please visit the (broken link removed) to add your opinion as to whether it meets our criteria for deletion. Continued (broken link removed) are appreciated, but please do not remove this tag.

This article will be reviewed no earlier than one week from the date listed above.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Has the making a cage one already been altered? It sounds fine to me - exactly like how to build a "bin cage" for a hamster. I get the impression it is intended for smaller pets like hamsters etc, partly because it mentions a running wheel.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
I was actually wondering about this myself, as biking is my main mode of transportation (& quite common here).

Up till now, I have always timed vet visits so that I can borrow my parent's car to take the guinea pigs. But in case of emergency, I have thought about biking. I would not do it as the author described though.

Now that it's autumn, I thought about putting a guinea pig in a backpack, with a snugglesafe & a whole bunch of towels. I'd leave a small opening for ventilation. I'd also be generating heat as well. :p It's the temperature changes that worry me the most about it.

It's about 30 minutes to my vet by bike, and there's always a bike path for me to follow. However, in case of emergency, I'd try reaching my parents first and see if they could give me a lift.

I do see quite a few people transporting their dogs in a way that this person described. But you can get baskets with a wire covering, so that the pet is unable to jump out.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I advise keeping a small fund of money available at all times so you can pay for a taxi, which can be done at any location and at any time in case of an emergency. There really is no need to resort to riding a bike, and if you can afford a vet visit, you can afford a taxi. The added stress of the bike ride and long, frightening trip to get to the vet would almost undoubtedly cause your guinea pig to become even more ill/injured than he/she was when the problem first came up. If there truly is an emergency, you wouldn't have the time to make the 30 minute trip, and your guinea pig would not be in any shape to handle it. Remember, your guinea pig could easily die if you fell over, even in a backpack. No matter how much padding there is, if you were to land on top of the backpack your guinea pig would be crushed, or worse if the backpack was thrown into traffic. Please, please don't take your guinea pig to the vet on a bike, you most surely would regret it and you would be lucky if you arrived without making your guinea pig dramatically worse off.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
About the cage one:

I think that it is still not good for hamsters. Do they not deserve ventilation also? Plus, [people may think that it is good for guinea pigs, too.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Do they not deserve ventilation also?

Relax - no need to get like that with us, I certainly never implied hamsters don't "deserve" proper care!

I think the size of the animal compared to its cage is the key. The main concern regarding ventilation is ammonia build up.

A bin is alsways going to be far too small for a guinea pig. Within a day a rubber maid will be chock full of poos and soaked in urine, so there will be a high concentration of ammonia.

With a hamster, even if you only cleaned it out once a week you still wouldn't have that sort of build up. Unless you let the cage get really filthy (which obviously you shouldn't, whatever cage you use) you shouldn't get an unhealthy concentration of ammonia keeping a small hamster in a large bin cage.

Of course, I know there are people on here who use them, so they may be able to better answer your question.

I do agree with you though that they ought to specifiy what animals these cages are suitable for, i.e. not guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.