Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Not getting along (Help!)

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello there!

My two girls have recently not been getting along. They used to play, and love to be in each others company. But as of late the bigger one (Phoenix) will nudge (possibly bite) the little one's (Godric) butt, and will chase her around the cage whilst doing this, with Godric wheeking. At first it just looked like play but now it looks like aggression to me. Is there anything I should do? Or is this just them ruff housing?

Note: One of them, also will make a odd noise...I'm not sure what it's called, though I think it might be rumbling.

It's normal for growing pigs, it's how they figure out who's boss. They'll chase each other, do a rumble strut, mount, and sometimes spray pee on the other pigs fur. Biting of each others fur is called barbering, people have made various reasons why they do this, the ones I've read is because they're either bored or it's their way of bonding. Nudging on the chin is the guinea pig version of a dog smelling each others butt. When they nudge each others butt it's their way of saying "I'm boss".

The bottom line is that it's part of puberty, they'll get over it soon or in a few months. Warning signs of serious aggression is showing of teeth and making grinding sounds, but the only time you should separate them is when there is blood shed.

Could be they're just in heat, particularly if it only lasts for a day or so and then recurs every couple of weeks. Sounds perfectly normal to me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.