Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated Not Frustrated FREAKING OUT? I BEG OF YOU HELP

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
hey guys i got a new piggie today i have 3 now but there just one little problem my new piggie yet to name is ONLY 3 DAYS OLD. mum my bought her from a pet shop feeling sorry for her the mother rejected her. she does have alot of energy some one else took her brother so i only have her. i have her in a 2x2 cage so the fleece can cover the hole cage cause i put her in and she jumped out so i have kept her with me but she has now gone into her cage and gone to sleep but what do i do NOW im freaking out and im to scared to leave her by herself im scared but i need to eat and sleep i would love to have her with me but i might crush her. she can fit in my palm HELP I BEG OF YOU

I can't understand why she would be in a petstore at only a few days old. I don't imagine that even the breeding mills send the babies to the store until they are a few weeks old.

Guinea pigs are born sighted, with hair and able to eat solid food. You do need to baby proof the cage, as you found out. Do not keep her in your bed with you. There is too much risk of her jumping off and injuring herself or being squished or suffocating under the blankets.

i have my two 6 month in one cage and her in another baby proofed cage the barriers are up to the top yet she still jumped out and ran into the bigger cage and she started to chase the piggies around cause she thought they were her mother she was chasing the black and tan around thinking that was her mother as she is black with a tiny splash of tan and a pinch of white. any as she was chasing the black and tan around she was calling out to her friend nibbles nibbles then came running and attacked my baby i had to put my hand in and nibbles bit me several times as i was trying to get the baby in the end i got the baby yet not named and she was lukcly not hurt

i feel a shamed and bad that i bought her from the petshop but she was the only one left and she was calling out and trying to crawl out and i felt really sorry for i was meant to buy piggie food but instead got yet to be named baby girl and since i got her seems very happy to sit on my belly while im on the laptop and she keeps talking to me and chattering her teeth she is so cute

i have my two 6 month in one cage and her in another baby proofed cage the barriers are up to the top yet she still jumped out and ran into the bigger cage and she started to chase the piggies around cause she thought they were her mother she was chasing the black and tan around thinking that was her mother as she is black with a tiny splash of tan and a pinch of white. any as she was chasing the black and tan around she was calling out to her friend nibbles nibbles then came running and attacked my baby i had to put my hand in and nibbles bit me several times as i was trying to get the baby in the end i got the baby yet not named and she was lukcly not hurt
Sounds like you have a very nervous, skittish piggie there who is going to need a lot of taming and cuddles.
I'm not sure, but you may have to supplement the diet with kitten milk replacement if she is that young. Don't do this without someone else recommending this though as I am not completely sure.

she keeps talking to me and chattering her teeth she is so cute
Chattering her teeth, err, means aggression. When she purrs it's a sign that she likes what you are doing (e.g. stroking her where she likes it).

It's so strange she was put in a pet shop at that young age. It may have been a particularly bad place.

Like cathiipiggie said, teeth chattering is a bad sign. It may mean that the guinea pig is scared or upset, sounds such as wheeking, gentle squeaks or quiet vibrating are signs that they are happy and content.

I'm not sure, but you may have to supplement the diet with kitten milk replacement if she is that young. Don't do this without someone else recommending this though as I am not completely sure.

No, she doesn't need any milk. Just provide her with veggies higher in calcium, such as parsley.

If she's already gotten in the cage with the others, there's no need to quarantine her -- they've already been exposed to anything she might have.

Just clean the larger cage well so that nothing in it smells like any pig, do proper introductions (see Guinea Pigs Social Life -- the introductions section is about halfway down) and put them together.

when they were together she was attacked that was because she was trying to get to one that may have looked her mum so they attacked her they were confused im really scared if i put i back in they going to harm her even more and lucky she has survived the night and she has not escaped

@Chikochikka Your posts would be a lot easier to read if you used punctuation. It's hard to read when the whole thing is one big long sentence.

Did you do the introductions in neutral ground? Pigs will take a while to get used to each other, so watch out for her because she's small, but I think it's normal that they won't be best friends right away. I would try again, maybe bathe them all and introduce them in a neutral place. Though the bath may not be necessary. Just protect her, but unless there is blood, I think things are normal.

during the night time i put the cages next to each other so they can talk. i only got her yesterday when i was suppose to buy guinea pig food but instead i bought her. dont worry i did get my guinea pig food

im really scared if i put i back in they going to harm her even more

She was attacked because she was intruding in their cage. When you introduce them, you must do it in neutral grounds (e.g. bath tub), separating them with wire mesh if you feel it is necessary, and have thick, leather gloves at hand so you can separate immediately if needed. NEVER leave them alone until they are completely comfortable with each other. And remember to completely hose down, clean out and get rid of any previous scents when putting them all in the same cage late on.

Chattering her teeth, err, means aggression. When she purrs it's a sign that she likes what you are doing (e.g. stroking her where she likes it).

Not really the point but I have seen (or heard) both in opposite situations.

If the baby is really only 3 days old I would give her milk.
How much does she weight? Because I would really never ever trust pet stores when they tell me an age.
Years ago I got two babies but they were (of course) four weeks old (thats what the pet store said afterwards). Sure... They certainly weren´t older than a week. They didn´t get milk but I weighed them daily to check they were doing fine.

@Chikochikka , it would have been great if you had quarantined her for three weeks. Pet store pigs are often sick and have parasites, and if she does, you've thoroughly exposed your other two.

Don't feed her milk. Guinea pigs are born "mature," meaning they can run around and eat and drink on their own. What she needs from milk are antibodies, which are species-specific, and only guinea pig milk would provide those.

Read Guinea Pigs Social Life for more information on introductions -- it's about halfway down.

I'm not sure, but you may have to supplement the diet with kitten milk replacement if she is that young.

If the baby is really only 3 days old I would give her milk.

No milk. Kitten and guinea pigs have completely different dietary needs. Never use kitten milk for guinea pigs. There are no milk replacement for guinea pigs. You cannot feed them any milk.

If you need to hand feed, follow the hand feeding guide on this page. Baby guinea pigs can have mashed pellets or Oxbow Critical Care. They usually can eat on their own since they are born. Hand feeding is only needed if they are ill.

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

No milk. Kitten and guinea pigs have completely different dietary needs. Never use kitten milk for guinea pigs. There are no milk replacement for guinea pigs. You cannot feed them any milk.

If you need to hand feed, follow the hand feeding guide on this page. Baby guinea pigs can have mashed pellets or Oxbow Critical Care. They usually can eat on their own since they are born. Hand feeding is only needed if they are ill.

https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
oh. I have read so many times that kitten milk replacement is the one. I guess that's another common mistake for the book. :(

thanks guys fro your help she eating by herself now which is great. when i cuddle her sh loves to sit on my shoulder and chat away at me its so cute. i have named her coco pops. only one of my guinea pigs are mean to her now which is nibbles she is going to take along time to get used to her. cornflake is better when she isnt with nibbles when i have coco pops. the pet shop said she was 4 weeks old but she is way younger than that i can see it. i will keep you guys posted

when i hole her she does shake a little bit well alot what does this mean is she scared of me when i hole her

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.