Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Size not enough space

Status
Not open for further replies.

gab_32

Cavy Slave
heyy guys..
i originally plan to have a 2x4 c&c cage but i now have to have it 2x3 because i dont have enough room.. i dont want to have 1 guinea pig i want to have 2

what should i do??

Guinea pigs should never live alone as they are highly social herd animals, so two is definitely what you should aim for.
A 2x3 cage is however too small. Is there any way you could move things around to fit a 2x4? I would advice you not to adopt until you have the proper space for them. Same logic as with children.

a 2x3 would be O.K for 2 pigs .. i have 3 in a 2x3 (dont worry im making it bigger soon
but my sis has 2 boars in a 2x3 anyways... i would do a 2x3 and get your 2 piggies i know how hard it is to find the space and where its going to be and all that fun stuff and i live in a apt with 4 pigs 1 hammie me and my parents so not very much room we are pretty much crammed LOL ......and if you ever find more space you can expand it

Anyone else reading this, please note: 2x3 cage is not an appropriate size for 3 guinea pigs. Please follow the guidelines on the homepage

Last edited by a moderator:
i know its too small .. but what if i make another level 2x1 ?

a 2x3 would be O.K for 2 pigs .. i have 3 in a 2x3 (dont worry im making it bigger soon
but my sis has 2 boars in a 2x3 anyways... i would do a 2x3 and get your 2 piggies i know how hard it is to find the space and where its going to be and all that fun stuff and i live in a apt with 4 pigs 1 hammie me and my parents so not very much room we are pretty much crammed LOL ......and if you ever find more space you can expand it

A 2x3 will most likely be much too small for them to move around properly, and could cause fighting, drama & dominance issues. I would also never put 2 boars in anything smaller than a 2x4-2x5 as they are often more prone to conflicts related to insufficient space.

If you cannot provide a proper living space, you shouldn't bring the animals home. Harsh yes.

Last edited:
i know its too small .. but what if i make another level 2x1 ?

Upper levels don't count unfortunately. You need the apporpriate space on the ground level. Ramps also take up much needed base space.

hanniballector i read that 2x3 is the minimum for 2 guinea pig and if someone else says that they had 3 in one with no problems then i am going to have 2 in my cage

upper levels do count because all of the food and hay or whatever is going on the loft provides more space down on the main floor

Actually a 2x3 is a minimum for two. If they get along well, 2x3 will be fine. I agree about not putting two boars in a 2x3. If you don't have any pigs yet, perhaps you could adopt a bonded female pair.

hanniballector i read that 2x3 is the minimum for 2 guinea pig and if someone else says that they had 3 in one with no problems then i am going to have 2 in my cage

A 2x3 is the aboslute minimum for two pigs, and is much too small for most, causing many issues where you might want to really focus on adopting a very well bonded female pair. It's definately much too small for 3 pigs, and is simply not appropriate at all.

so is have 2 guinea pig on a 2x3 cage animal cruelty? cos i know for a fact that people buy hamster cages and have like 5 guinea pigs in them so i think what im doing is not bad because i will care for them and give them heaps of floor time

I agree with lissie, I think it is male guinea pigs that need more space because of dominance issues (correct me if I'm wrong) so if you could adopt a bonded female pair, they should be fine in a 2x3. Floor time with your guinea pigs often enough will help to.

No, but you might run into issues with dominance & drama due to insufficient space. Where you need to really focus on adopting a well bonded pair of sows, and continue to plan a bigger cage if necessary.

It's animal cruelty to cram even one pig into a hamster cage, or any too small cage yes. That irresponsible owners do it doesn't make it right or appropriate.

hanniballecter my 3 pigs are perfect in a 2x3 yes, im building them a bigger cage but they are fine because i take good care of them and if gab_32 will take good care of them they will be fine as long as they have veggies pellets hay and water and floor/play time they will be happy

Anyone else reading this, please note: 2x3 cage is not an appropriate size for 3 guinea pigs. Please follow the guidelines on the homepage

Last edited by a moderator:
If anything goes wrong with the guinea pigs i will try my hardest to make a bigger cage but for now i will try to adopt 2 females

I agree with lissie, I think it is male guinea pigs that need more space because of dominance issues (correct me if I'm wrong) so if you could adopt a bonded female pair, they should be fine in a 2x3. Floor time with your guinea pigs often enough will help to.
my sisters boars are fine in a 2x3 they get along soo well they dont fight at all actually they behave more than my sows i cant believe it lol

hanniballecter my 3 pigs are perfect in a 2x3 yes, im building them a bigger cage but they are fine because i take good care of them and if gab_32 will take good care of them they will be fine as long as they have veggies pellets hay and water and floor/play time they will be happy

A 2x3 is simply too small for 3 pigs. No matter if you feed them an appropriate diet, it doesn't change their need of space, exercise on their own time & need to get away from one another once in a while. Floortime also doesn't replace a proper sized cage. Please don't recommend others to do the same.

oh gab_32 i added you as a contact and sent you a friend request :)

Status
Not open for further replies.