Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Not eating pellets

betty

Cavy Slave
It is Molly's third night in her new home with us and she has still not touched her pellets. I'm trying to feed her oxbow. She is eating a lot of hay and veggies and drinking a fair amount of water. Her poos and pees seem normal.

I have replaced the uneaten pellets each morning to make sure it is fresh and clean.

Is it okay for them to go this long without pellets or is it necessary? She is getting unlimited oxbow orchard grass and 1/2 cup of veggies twice per day (romaine lettuce, cilantro, bell pepper, carrot, tomato).

Pellets are the least important part of their diet, so there is no need to worry. I would just give her a wide variety of veggies and fruit until then to make sure she is getting all of the vitamins and minerals she needs. Also, make sure she has plenty of hay 24/7 as hay is the most important part of their diet. They can sometimes take a while to want to eat pellets. My pig, Pedro, still isn't very keen on them so I just make sure he gets plenty of hay and veg.
Since it's just her 3rd night she is probably a bit scared and it will some more time to get used to her new home.

I wouldn't worry about it. She'll probably come around eventually. As long as she gets plenty of vegetables, she should be ok.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.