Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting Normal?

YoPiggies

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

I have two female guinea pigs. When I woke up this morning, I could hear an annoyed purring sound coming from the piggies' cage. I sat up and watched one of them, Pearl, kind of follow the other one, Rosie, around - Pearl would get close to Rosie, Rosie would purr and run away, and they'd repeat. I thought nothing of it, but then when I stayed still for a few minutes and left them alone, Pearl actually briefly mounted Rosie and started humping her (ew!). Rosie ran away from her, and I didn't really see it happen again, but it unsettled me a little as I've never seen them do that.

I know that mounting can be a dominance behavior, but I had up until this point believed Pearl to be the less dominant half of the pair, although neither one is particularly aggressive or bullying. Could this simply be her trying to upset the order? Or something? Or is she maybe in heat? Should I be worried, whatever the heck is going on?

Thanks in advance!

Mounting is completely normal behavior for both males and females. It's not aggressive or bullying.

If you're 100% sure that they're both females - my best guess would be that one of them is in heat... just a guess but that's what it sounds like to me.

I have had my two boars together for almost 3 months now, and they still mount each other. Well one always mounts the other. I was wondering if it was normal for them to do it all the time even after knowing each other for so long but I am pretty sure it is completely normal and it will randomly happen all the time!

Yes, occasionally, even after 3 mths, males will mount each other just to remind each other who is in charge.

Yeah my one was going after the other today and I was thinking, "arent you done tormenting your brother" lol, I guess not!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.