Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight Normal Gains?

LifeAsItMayBe

Cavy Slave
I recently bought a scale to weigh my guinea pig. The first time I weighed her, she weighed 623 grams. A week later she weighed 700 grams, and the next day (today) 712 grams.

My question is, do those weights seem like normal growing piggy gains?

She was pretty skinny when I got her and I have no idea how old she is. I have had her for one month (and her ad on Petfinder appeared about a month before that). She was really picky at first and has only had veggies on a regular basis for the past week and a half (since she discovered a love of green-leaf lettuce).

She's probably gaining weight, and depending how old she is I would say 623 grams is VERY low for a pig. My girl is 1075, although she's a little porker. Weight fluctuates day to day, so I wouldn't worry about 700-712. In a week gaining 80 grams is probably a lot, that's about 3 ounces. It depends what time you weight her too. If you initially weighed her in the morning before a feeding, and then a week later weighed her before bed the weights will vary a lot.

How old is she, did she used to live with a male, and is she biting or fighting, resisting being picked up? She could be pregnant, or you're giving her a very good home and she is much healthier. Hope I could help,
PiggiPower

If you have introduced veggies into her diet I bet she's just eating more :)

@PiggiPower, I don't know her age, just that she is young. I know she had a friend at the shelter for a while, but it was not there when I got her so I don't know if it was male or female. She has been fairly resistant to being picked up but has been getting better about it the last few days.

5/16: 623 grams
5/23: 700 grams
5/24: 712 grams
5/27: 744 grams

Steady weight gain of about 11 grams per day. It seems like a lot to me, but this is my first pig so I don't really have a clue. :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.