Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight No weight gain

CandaceHall

Cavy Slave
Last summer (Summer of 2010) I lost a guinea pig :guilty:. She was old and had 4 babies so that really aged her.
The father of her babies, Daniel, mourned like mates usually do. Even though they weren't in the same cage for years he still stopped eating. So, he obviously lost a lot of weight fast.
I read on-line, to just give him love and help him through it, so I did. After, he was really boney.
A year and a half later, he is still boney. I want to say his is somewheres between 7 and 9. I can feel his hips bad. I don't know whether or not to worry.
I feed him apples and grass and dandilion leaves and what ever else i can find, but he never gains weight.

Will he be okay or should I put him on a special diet?

Firstly, I would take him to a vet for a check. This will help to figure out if he has a medical problem that is keeping him at a smaller weight. Since it has been a year, I don't think he is still sad over the loss of your other pig.
Some piggies that have lost weight can cope with their new weight without any problems. Older piggies can also lose muscle mass as they get older and are less active.
What do you feed him other than the stuff you mentioned? Does he get hay and pellets. He needs unlimited grass hay 24/7. Also, the food you mentioned isn't enough variety, and apples contain too much sugar to be given often. Have a look at the Sample Menu thread and the Diet and Nutrition thread by Ly&Pigs.

In the summer I'll sit out back with him and he has his fill of grass and dandilion leaves (his favorite is clovers). We dont use any chemicals on our grass. This summer we only mowed it once or twice. But sadly in the winter he usually just gets pellets. No hay, not much fruit, carrots and i tried some organic potatos and grapes, but he doesnt care for those. He's a bit of an old fart who sleeps all the time. Sometimes he'll chew on his paper bedding. Like he is right now, right after a quick nap.

Hay is the most important part of a guinea pigs diet. They need unlimited grass hay all of the time, no matter what. Also, they need to have at least a cup of veggies everyday. Some good staples are green and red leaf lettuce, cilantro, and green peppers. Then you can start to work some other veg into the mix for variety. Fruit should not be given often, as well as carrots since they contain a lot of sugar. Can you pick up some grass hay for him? A proper diet should hopefully put some weight on him. Do you know how much he weighs?

1.5lbs exactly. He is an abby so about a quarter of that is hair (lol). Hes got a little belly but you can still every bone in his body.
What is better grass hay or timothy hay? I read somewheres that timothy hay is full of empty calories.

not timothy. Alfalfa is full of empty calories

Timothy is a type of grass hay. Some examples of grass hays are timothy, brome, bluegrass, and orchard. Timothy is not full of empty calories, but it does contain more calcium than some other hays so it's not the best for sludge-prone pigs. Orchard hay is very popular as well. Any of these kinds of hay will do. Pigs need to be constantly eating and digesting, or else their guts will go into stasis, which can be fatal. Your piggie also needs veg to ensure he is getting all the Vit. C needed to prevent scurvy. I would pick up some hay, lettuce, and green pepper to start to feed him.

Alfalfa is a legume hay and only for pups and nursing moms that need higher levels of calcium. Don't get a senior pig alfalfa.

Ok. I will. Thank you.

Glad to help! Keep us updated on your little man! I'm sure he'll start to feel better once having some hay and veggies :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.