Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat Veggies No Veggies for me.

guineapiggymom

Cavy Slave
Quincy, my guinea pig won't eat veggies. I've tried apples, carrots and lettuce he takes a few curiosity bites sinking his teeth into them but, not putting it into his mouth. He does like fresh clover and grass though. Seeing how it's winter here there is no fresh clover and grass yet. Is there a way to get him to eat veggies without these things on top of them.

How long have you been trying? It took my guys a little over a week to eat most veggies, and about a month to eat green pepper. Keep at it! I've heard you can finely chop them up and put it with their pellets. They accidentally eat the veggies and get used to the taste.

Also, if they never eat a veggie they will be fine. A good pellet has all the nutrition needed for a pig. Giving them veggies just adds variety and a better quality of life.

Might try cilantro I got a bunch from the store the other day seemed to go over well, I had tried carrot, bell pepper and apple with zero sucess. Might want to ask the people in produce dept of your store if they can save a bit of things for you to try, they are constantly pulling things off shelf that are still allright to eat but not cosmeticly right for sale. Have to do the same with my local store not sure they could even weigh up 3-4 green beans for sale!

I've been trying on and off for @ least 4 months. I've been trying different ways of slicing carrots and still nothing. I have seen him eat the stems off of spinach but, he ignores the leaf. It's frustrating.

How long have you been trying? It took my guys a little over a week to eat most veggies, and about a month to eat green pepper. Keep at it! I've heard you can finely chop them up and put it with their pellets. They accidentally eat the veggies and get used to the taste.

Also, if they never eat a veggie they will be fine. A good pellet has all the nutrition needed for a pig. Giving them veggies just adds variety and a better quality of life.

This is not true.. GP need Vit C because they don't produce their own. Hay (unlimited) and Veggies should be the biggest part of their diets whereas pellets should be the smallest part of their diet. There is a nutrition chart on the forum that tells you what you can feed your GP and how much. Don't give up on the veggies. In the mean time you might want to give them a supplement such as Daily C (Oxbow) so they can get the Vit. C they need.

He gets unlimited amounts of timothy and the pellots he gets says it has 100% vit C in them although how true it is I'm not sure.

How about fruit tree stick? My parents have an apple tree and unlimited amounts of sticks. Will this help Quincy get his Vit C?

I would never feed a guinea pig sticks. As far as the pellets are concerned, they may have SOME Vit. C but it isn't stabilized so it's no where near enough. I only feed my pigs 1/8 of a cup of pellets daily. They really should not have any more than that. Again, you need to keep trying with the veggies. Green bell peppers are great. Try cutting them super super small and mix them into the pellets. Also, fruits and carrots should be only given sparingly. As they are high in sugars.

You really have to be consistent and try every day. You don't want him to end up with scurvy or other health issues from lack of Vit. C.

Here's Ly's Chart to help guide you!

https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...-charts-poisonous-plants-list.html#post254730

I agree with lovemysnickers, and this does work : )
Whenever I introduce a new veggie that my pig does not like, I chop it very fine and mix it in with her pellets (one day's serving) and she eats it every time. She will also then eat it with her regular salad once she has gotten used to the taste of the new veggie.

Good luck and keep trying : )

Thanks lovemysnickers, I'll try that!
:)

I could be over doing it with the pellets, LovemySnickers. I'll work on that.

Our two girls, Piper and Pepper, were born at a rescue on November 27. We have had them about two weeks. I know they must be eating SOMETHING because they are active and pooping and peeing, but I think it must be mostly hay and pellets because they are having NONE of the veggies. Tonight's salad was romaine, chopped fresh parsley, two tiny olive tomatoes, two small baby carrots, two small snap peas, and a little bit of red bell pepper. All cut up and presented in their very own salad bowl. I plan to vary this, based on the wonderful nutrition chart from this site ( I printed it out), and hope that eventually they will try something. I will also be devious and add things to their pellets if it appears they aren't trying anything. I just don't want to reduce their pellets if they aren't eating the veggies. Does anyone out there have any favorites their piggies really love that they can suggest?

I would try parsley whole (but only couple times a week) my girl loves fresh cilantro, begrudgingly eats bell pepper if there is nothing else, gobbles lettuce, has turned her nose up at tomato slice and carrots. Asked the grocer if I could have 4 green beans today to test drive the cavy (wow did I get a strange look) but he said OK. She sniffed then and walked off, I later chopped them up to add to the pellets so she may aquire a taste for them or not.

On another note does anyone freeze vegies as having only one cavie some would not last till eaten, or would freezing reduce all the nutrients?

Kristin

Take one veggie and chop it very finely and put it on their pellets. Think a pencil eraser in 8-10 pieces -- that's the size you're aiming for. They'll get enough by accident to get accustomed to the taste, and then you can feed it in larger chunks and start on another veggie.

You've already tried just feeding the veggies, and that hasn't worked. Give this method a try -- I don't know of anyone who's used it who hasn't had at least some success, although not every pig will eat every vegetable that you try to feed this way.

Have noticed today that the romaine from last night appears to be gone, and some of the parsley. Carrots, bell peppers, snap peas, and tomato pieces not so much. So tonight, I will combine romaine and radicchio in one dish and then cut up the other things and mix them with the pellets. Worth a try. I think I am gonna need a bigger dish........

He's actually eating some red and green lettuce today and loving it. I'm a very happy guinea piggy mom.:D

Well, I am super happy to report that when I arrived home from work today, Piper and Pepper had finished everything in their salad bowl from last night (romaine and radicchio mixed), as well as almost all the veggies I had mixed into their bowl of pellets! :) Wow! I guess the phrase "presentation is everything" really rings true, at least for these two piggies! I did the same thing tonight, adding some fresh parsley to their salad. We'll see if they are on a roll. I hope so. Glad to see this strategy may work! :D Now I will add some new things to the weekend shopping list.

My piggie Nibbler had the same problem XD just keep giving him the veggies and hell eat the aventully, also i put nibbler in with my other piggie riley and she LOVES veggies and once nibbler saw that she ate them she started to too! XD i guess some piggies have to be taught to love veggies

They are already working on tonight's salad and they have hit the veggies in the pellet bowl really hard. Am so glad. Now I will start adding a little more variety.

:) Well, I had to go out and buy a larger bowl for their salad. Got them a square glass dish that sits in the corner. They ate that, then pooped in the dish. Veggies had their own separate dish this time and they ate that too. I think we're OK in the veggies/lettuce area now. LOVE the nutrition chart---have it printed off and on the side of our fridge.:eek:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.