Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

No pigs yet

Mom_of 3

Cavy Slave
Hi I a\have 3 girls ages 6,3,and 10months my oldest 2 girls love animals and their dad wants to get guinea pigs so im doing a lil research here. Ive read pigs are social so having 2 or possibly 3 at some time is a good thing also that they like to play and be held we tried a bunny once but she was too skiddish didnt like being held period. Im looking at the c & c cagest saw one i can buy that is a tower 1x4 grids but there are 3 levels in this size. Looks large enough and i have a space in the livingroom where it'd fit well but all i see here are 2x4 and larger would a 3 level (each level 1x4) still be good for a minimum of 2 pigs a maximum of 4? Also i wondered about fleece bedding rather than traditional bedding any thoughts on this? ( i though about getting the sheets you get for kids the rubber things and sewing it to the underside of a fleece blanket?)

Hi.

To answer one of your questions, you want something with a larger base rather than something vertical. Think about how you would like to run around. Would you rather be on a track going in circles or climbing all the stairs in a stadium? Maybe something L shaped would be good to put into a corner for you.

Definitely get a friend for your guinea pig, but make sure to sex them yourselves to make sure they are the same gender.

i really like the tower idea but maybe 2x3 or 2x4 would be a better option, i noticed everyone elses are at least 2 of the squares wide!

Hi,

Welcome to GPC! We really do recommend the cage to be at least 2 grids wide. Piggies need room to turn when they run laps.

Here are some guidelines when choosing the cage:
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home
C&C Cages - Types and Styles

Fleece bedding is great. Many people love it. Some do hate it though. It's a personal preference.
These threads will help you get started.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/21568/
https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/58123/

Lissie
Please don't breed or buy while shelter animals die. Adopt! Don't shop!

Welcome! Can't wait to see your piggies!!

Welcome! Glad to see you're doing your research before adding your new family members. Some piggies are more cuddly than others, but if you adopt adults from a rescue, you'll know their personality so you can be sure to get piggies that like to be held. I'm looking forward to seeing them...good luck finding the perfect piggies.

It's great that you're doing your research! I'd like to add that some pigs can take a while to warm up to people, and require a lot of patience and gentle care. I've had one of my pigs for over a year and he still won't be on my lap unless he's in a shoebox! I don't think he's a common case, though. My most recent two were friendly almost immediately. They're all so different! :eek:

Any ideas if females or males do better together? Im having trouble finding pigs around here i really don't want to go to a petstore but i don't want to drive a long distance either... Id ideally like to get a brothers or sisters. I don't think i could keep rehoming baby pigs so i don't care to do that. My husband wants to get a puruvian pig and i like the calico colored ones. Im just curious where other people got their piggies. ( i do have a co-worker that has a male and female so eventually shell probly end up with babies but i definitly want a same sex couple, as interesting as it would be for the girls to see and have babies im afraid theyd just multiply and multiply)

Any ideas if females or males do better together? Im having trouble finding pigs around here i really don't want to go to a petstore but i don't want to drive a long distance either... Id ideally like to get a brothers or sisters. I don't think i could keep rehoming baby pigs so i don't care to do that. My husband wants to get a puruvian pig and i like the calico colored ones. Im just curious where other people got their piggies. ( i do have a co-worker that has a male and female so eventually shell probly end up with babies but i definitly want a same sex couple, as interesting as it would be for the girls to see and have babies im afraid theyd just multiply and multiply) 

Have you search petfinder.com? Call local shelters?

Yes, ditto what others have said. Guinea pigs are not much for climbing so a wider/longer base rather than taller is the way to go.

Whether pigs get along depends more on the individual pigs than on gender.

Peruvians are nice but do require some regular grooming to prevent matting.

As for where to find them: try petfinder. Choose "Small and furry" from the pull down menu, type "guinea pig" for breed and enter your zip code to find shelters and rescues near you.

You can also check craigslist for local pigs people are rehoming.

we had guinea pigs once when i was younger but i don't think we had them long all i remember is the wink wiiiink wiiiink noise they made LOL, my hubby is set on pigs, we tried a rabbit but she wasn't friendly and hated being held, i had a ferret before and i adored her, but the hubby doesnt care for them, gerbils, hampsters, rats and the like are too small for our girls i think, so ive done some research, they seem to bee sweet pack animals and enjoy attention which my children are full of (little animal lovers already) & i think its time to teach them how to care for their pets. His mom has a huge ferret cage while we pick up all the supplies to make a C&C cage

Hello! Welcome to Cavy Cages. There's a few of us here researching before we adopt too. I have several months before I'll be able to care for guinea pigs myself, but I'm studying and building up my supplies slowly. Let me say, you're definitely on the right track!

It's advisable that you have the minimum size on one level, plus a little extra if you want a second level since the ramp takes space. Unlike rabbits, guinea pigs prefer horizontal spaces to vertical, so most people don't build above a second level. I've also seen people build 3x instead of 2x, if you can fit that into your place better. Another idea would be to use some kind of a stand. Not only does it bring your piggies closer to you, it gives you a place to store their things in a smaller space.

I want 3 guinea pigs myself. Guinea pigs are herd animals and really need at least one other piggy friend. They also don't breed very well; I'm glad to see you're not interested in doing that any way. 1/5 females dies from pregnancy. :(

Every one and their piggies absolutely loves fleece around here! it's affordable and not as messy as other beddings. You'll want to put something underneath it, though, such as a UHaul pad. About rubber sheets, are you referring to mattress pads? Or do they have actual rubber sheets? You can also make your own tents, cuddle cups, tunnels and more with your extra fleece. There's a lot of crafty piggy parents around here.

Approximately where are you from? Someone might be able to give you very clear directions to different guinea pigs that are around. I'm from Michigan, and there just aren't that many pigs here. Most I have to travel to another state to get, which I'd be willing to do given I can find the gas money to get there. I have found a few closer to my location, though, looking at Hoobly and Craig's List, as well as PetFinder of course. :) In other places, they may seem hard to find, but there are actually plenty. I think there's a lot in California and New York, for instance.

Any way, welcome to the forum! I hope you'll find your stay here a very happy experience!

Thank you! It started a yr ago or so my hubby saw guinea pigs in the pet store while we were searching for a certain kind of dog harness, he saw them and automatically said oh lets get guinea pigs for the kids! I was just kinda like oh lord no way i don't know much about them we had them one time when i was younger and all i remember is they were noisey! LOL their birthdays are comming up and while tilling up the garden we found baby rabbits we moved them so they didn;t get run over and they were heart broken we couldn't keep one, so started the guinea pig conversation, my husband looking at me like im nuts when i tell him how big of a cage we need and how much it's going to cost, but after telling him im doing it right or not at all ive got him on board but he still thinks we should go to a petstore to buy pigs because ive been unsuccessful in finding any close to adopt, so im still looking!! We live in the Mount Vernon sunbury area in Ohio. I found 2 sets someone is trying to get rid of in sunbury but they are 2 sets of 1 male and 1 female and they must go in the set of 2 as they are bonded. I have no desire to breed it would be cool and educational for the girls but im not ready for an added expense of the death of a mommy or babies so we aren't going there and thats agreed upon therefore ive researched sexing piggies as well. My dad works in the columbus area so if i find a couple piggies in that area i can have him take me hed be more than willing, ive been looking for a while im being kind of picky.

I applaud you, @Mom_of_3 ! You have said that you don't know much about guinea pigs, but you still have your feet on solid ground.

It is possible, though costly (though sometimes dangerous), to have a guinea pig neutered. Have you spoken to the owners at all? It's possible they already have fixed one or both of their piggies.

As far as how to get piggies, as some have stated, you could ask owners/rescues if they would be open to a piggy train. It has opened up my options considerably. Also, some of the owners in Ohio may be willing to meet you in a neutral location for exchange. Be prepared to answer questions. Most want to know their pets are going to a good home. :) Keep your eyes open- use the search bar for your area and look on Craig's List.

It sounds like you don't have a car to be able to travel very far, am I correct? I have the same problem, except I've been educating my hubby and he understands why I don't want to get piggies either from a pet store or from a breeder. He's willing to drive me a couple of hours to get piggies. If that's what you have to do with your hubby, maybe we can post some links that will help you not only learn for yourself, but be able to teach him as well. Maybe he'll work with you a little more if he understands your reasons for doing things a certain way. I wish you luck on your piggy adventures!

I have a vehicle not very comfortable taking it very far or driving in unfamilar places as i am directionally challenged LOL. I found 2 beautiful males in bellville that im thinking about looking into they don't even want a fee for a cage supplies and all even though i have a larger cage to put them in while i build a c&c cage. That way they don't end up snake food or something but ive gotta text my dad and this person some questions sounds like they have kids and were pets for them!!

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that you found guinea pigs so quickly. Have you seen pictures of them yet? What breed are they? I'm so excited for you! And happy for them too- some guinea pigs really do turn into snake food. Poor piggies! :(

Yeah, I'm actually trying to meet someone today too that seems terrified that her pig is going to end up snake food.
If they're offering a free cage, I say take it. You never know when you can use it for travel, vet appointments, or even a kitchen area INSIDE your future C&C [that's what I do]. And heck, it's FREE! Who doesn't love free things?
Good luck with the pig hunt and contacting this person

So far ive only only texted to see if thy are still avalible no responce yet yes ive seen photos they are both male abbyssian one is all tan except his face is white and the other looks to be tri color very pretty!

well poo they are being picked up today! Ive been looking about 3 months so i guess ill just keep looking!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.