Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

no piggies for me :(

I agree with kavykritter, It is definitely worth it to adopt. I just recently adopted a pig that I found on petfinder. Hopefully you will be able to find some there!

I've been steadily looking in petfinder and such, but still have no luck. I've looked at the ones at the SPCA and they just aren't what I'm looking for. I've found this pet shop that a former co-worker of mine now works at and they seemed very knowledgable (spelling?). They have a pregnant sow who's due any minute. They normally wait 6 weeks after birth to sell the piggies, sooner if they are totally eating on their own. I like the thought of owning my piggie when it's young. Then I'd know that it had been treated right it's whole life. You know? Their cage was very clean, my friend says they totally clean it every other day. If a worker skips a day, they are automatically fired. I stayed about an hour there playing with the piggies they did have. They were so cute!! There were some 3 week old babies (1 boy 2 girls) that were just soo curious about the person who was sticking her hand in the cage!! :) The "guinea pig" expert at the petshop sexed the babies for me then I looked, and as far as I could tell, he did it right. I won't be buying any from that litter though because for all I know Lil Brother already got his sisters pregnant. Oh, and the breeder I had been looking at doesn't breed to sell to pet stores and such. She breeds for show and I don't think she breeds more than what she can handle or sell. Is that still just as bad?

I think that's remarkable that your Petsmart is not selling any animals, KavyKritter. I have never been in a Petsmart that wasn't selling their animals. If they simply adopt out animals, how do they make a profit?

I would steer clear of Petsmart. I, in my ignorant days, purchased a guinea pig from Petsmart, and she turned out to be two years older than they promised me, and she ended up having cancer and dying 5 weeks after I purchased her.

My vet speculated that, based on the extent of her cancer and her age coupled with her small size, this particular pig had been bought from Petsmart and returned (due to the tumor) many times and rather than having her treated, Petsmart just kept selling her again.

I reported Petsmart to PETA, the Humane Society of the United States, my local humane society, and the Better Business Bureau.

If you do end up buying a pig from Petsmart, I would take it to the vet immediately after purchase for a check-up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.