Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

No need for Veggies in the Summer?

laura220

Cavy Slave
I've been having a hard time getting Ginny her 'cup of veggies' dinner everyday because my sister is so sure guinea pigs can live off fresh backyard grass during the summer or the whole time the grass is still growing. I'm wondering; is this is actually true?

She thinks I'm wasting lettuce etc. by giving it to the pig. Even if we've got it just for the pig, then she says she'd eat it or something.

So? Would they get their needed nutrients etc. just from the grass and forages?

Thanks for any input!

You definitely still need to give them their veggies. Just because they can eat the grass and roughage and get some nutrients from it, you don't know how much they are eating. Plus, grass just has some nutrients, but you need to give a variety of veggies to the pigs to make sure they get everything they need (Vitamins, etc).

Yes, veggies still need to be given - grass isn't enough to live on.

Grass = Hay. Veggies and some forages provide vitamin C and other nutrients that grass and Hay don't.

In other words they still need they veggies.

How comes wild ones survive okay just eating grass? Or do they eat other plants too?...
I would always feed them veggies, I'm just wondering.

Wild Guinea Pigs would not only eat grass but other plants, barks, roots, wild berries and fruits. Since they have a wider range to find food and the way nature "takes care of it's own" the GPs would have a variety of foods to choose from year round.

You also need to keep in mind that wild Guinea Pigs have a life span of less then one year due to predation, illness and accidents. They rarely have enough time in life to get ill from an inadequate diet.

Okay. I'll tell my sister and definantly keep giving veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.