Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hiding No Hideys = Happy?!

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
I did a little experiment tonight. Shelby is somewhat of a bully when hideys are in the cage so I removed them. They have been out for a couple hours. There is much more peace in the cage now. The hideys do have two openings, but when Matisse is in one Shelby will run back and forth between the openings, blocking him from getting out. When Matisse does get out and goes to the other hidey, Shelby will really start in because that's his "official" hidey (I'm rolling my eyes at this, he seems to think he owns both). Upon removal, I have two very happy piggies that are getting along, more floor space for playing, and a more active Matisse. No dominance behaviors at all from Shelby. That being said, if no hideys = peaceful piggies, but they are necessary, what can I do instead? I was thinking of attaching a grid "roof" to opposite corners and covering them with fleece so that it's still a covered area but completely open. I'm open to decorating ideas :eek:ptimist:

what about the step stool that has been suggested before? I'm giving serious consideration to trying one of those out.

@mommazilla Ya know I think I may just do that. There's a Dollar Tree store by work, they should have them I'm thinking? It'd be cheaper than buying a whole box of grid cubes just for two.

@Hhbean I could do that too... This Midwest Habitat has a top, I could just run the fleece through that... Actually the top folds in 4ths too so maybe I could just do the forest down the middle so the ends are uncovered?? That might be fun unless it would act like too much of a divider. But then they could really have their space/privacy if they wanted!

oh, and if you want to do a roof, you don't have to buy new grids. Just use some clips to secure a towel or extra fleece in a corner. I've seen people do that too. I have combed those photo galleries, girl! good stuff in there :)

LOL yes I try to go through those photos while I'm at work to keep the boredom away. I wish I had the room to make some awesome palace for these guys! I'm really impressed with so many of the cages I've come across.

My piggies aren't bullies, but they definitely do run around more when the hidey's aren't in the cage... It's so odd, so I usually only keep the hideys in there in intervals.

I use the fleece forest but also just drap some fleece over one end of their cage. They feel like they are hiding but the space is so big they don't fight over it or it is too hard for one pig to control since the whole front is open to the cage.

Good ideas guys! Can't wait to redecorate!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.