Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

No Guinea Pig Cages in a Child's Room???

Maj C Prado

Cavy Slave
Hi! I am Majesty I am 13 and I currently have 8 Guinea Pigs, a 3x6 and 5x5 w/ 2x3 Kitchen Area.
So I regularly go on Guinea-Lynx and Plenty of Forums :)
So I was browsing and I found this- https://www.cavyspirit.com/nocagesinbedroom.htm

S
o I am not trying to start anything but I have 1 cage for my females in my room and my Males Cage inside of the Den-{Play Room for Family}
I was just wondering if it was okay to keep them in my room, I LOVE hearing adults feelings on these piggie topics :)
I am willing to move my girls to the other Play-Room in the Loft
"{Fully Furnished}",
{5 Kids, another on the way :/, thats why we have 2 play rooms}
I had an accident male getting in the cage, when they were in the same room, now I have 3, 4 day old piggie babies :) So that is why I moved them in my room
Thanks So Much for any advice :)
-Loving Piggie Owner!!!!!!
P.S.-If Cavy-Spirit see's this, can she please help....

It seems to me that you are the one that provides the majority of the care and love. I think the main reason people say no piggies in kids room is they can be forgotten easily, or a young child could unintentionally hurt them being rough. But I am sure you give them a lot of love and care.

I don't know if I count as an adult (20) ;) but I think the thoughts on not keeping the cage in the child's room is that it is more easily forgotten, and unless the family spends a lot of time in there, the guinea pigs don't get interaction. So, as long as you don't forget to take care of them and don't leave them all alone all day, you should be okay :) it sounds like you are a good gp owner to me!

Awww!!!!
Thank You So Much, I try as hard as I can to be a "Perfect" Piggie Owner, since standards are so High *Now-a-Days* XD
Thank You for the Input

Yea :/
I actually am the one that performs all of the work for the piggies besides the yearly Vet-Bills :/
I make sure to give all of my Fur-Kids the Love and Attention they need and Deserve!!!
It has been said I am mature for my age :)
~Thank You :3

It will raise the risk of allergies dramatically. Both for hay, dust mites & for the pigs themselves. Humidity levels also go up. And trust me, hay & dust allergies are pure hell when you own animals. I had no previous issues with allergies, but after a year of sleeping in the same room as my pigs, I now have to tackle it every day.

If possible, do keep them in a different room. Especially for young kids & teens such as yourself where the risk is higher.

Keeping animals in younger childrens rooms is also an issue, as the child is not able to monitor for any subtle signs of an illness, and will easily be forgotten. You can also never trust a child, or a child's friends. They WILL lift the pig out, and they WILL be loud.

No way. Not in a kid's bedroom. Family pet or no pet at all. Family commitment. Family responsibility. Family MONEY needed to pay for vet bills. FAMILY decisions to be made when times change AND THEY WILL. When crap happens, like moving, loss of a job, illness, divorce (hate to say it), etc. etc. FAMILY responsiblity when YOUR life gets in the way for whatever reason. The FAMILY needs to value those pigs year in, year out as much or more than you do. FAMILY in the habit of caring for those pigs as much as you do. No debate about it.

Increased risk of allergies, most definitely, but is a residual benefit of them not being in the bedroom, not the overarching real reason.

I have a question about this too, and I'm not disagreeing with any of you, I just have an interesting situation.

I am the sole owner/ carer for my pigs Squint and Benjamin. They live in my bed room, because they are not allowed anywhere out of my room for more than like an hour due to cleaning or nail painting (mine :) )

I don't want them to get sick from being in my room, but they have no where else to go. My parents don't mind vet bills, bedding, or building cages for them, but will not consider letting them live in the family room. I just asked a couple weeks ago.

I have an air purifier and they get plenty of sun light ect. I would never forget about them.

Is there anything I can due to make sure they stay healthy in my room? (I think it was said it can be less than preferred for the pigs?)

So, like I said my room is my only option. I'm not trying to convince people it is okay or anything, I too believe they should be in a family room, but in my parents' house, they can't be.

I'm an adult (23), but my GPs and Hamsters live in my bedroom because I can close the door and keep my dogs out, also my bedroom is the warmest room in the house. They get tons of attention and love (as much as they would in any other room). I think that the main concern with GPs being kept in a CHILD'S bedroom is that this usually means that the GPs belong to the child and the child is responsible for them. You are 13, and it sounds like you are mature enough to care for the pigs... it also sounds like your GPs get lots of love and attention.

I'm 23, still living at home. We have a mini-zoo here, 8 cats, 4 Yorkshire Terriers, 4 hamsters, 3 guinea pigs, and a 30 gallon fishtank with lots of fish.

I personally have 2 hamsters, the fishtank and 3 guinea pigs in my small bedroom. I run an air purifier, and once the weather gets warmer I try to keep the windows open. We invested as a family in a dyson vacuum, which is the best thing ever. For me, my animals in my room are better. I spend most of my time in my room and we don't really have a family room or a place where we gather much except our kitchen.

I think you have to look at what works for you. I'm for sure with 6 children your piggies (whereever they maybe living) are getting plenty of interaction! If I had a child, I can't say I wouldn't keep a cage in their bedrooms, if they were a bit older, responsible etc. But I'd be in there every day anyway (because I love them!)

If it works, don't worry too much!

I think the only concern of a pet being in a kid's room would be young kids who might drop them/ accidentally knock over the cage, etc. You seem like you're old enough to not do any of that. I think by kids they mean 10& under, not teens.

Is there anything I can due to make sure they stay healthy in my room?

One thing to do is to check the piggies-EACH AND EVERY ONE-EVERY DAY. Are their eyes clear, hair clean, bottom and feet clean? Poops tell a lot about any living thing; are they firm and well formed? Are they soft and squishy? The same color as always? Same amount as always? While your checking poops, are you picking them up and throwing them away? Every day? Do you weigh your piggies EVERY WEEK? Do you write it down in a notebook, so you can see any changes? This site, as well as Guinea Lynx, is an excellent resource for learning the proper way to care for your piggies.

The concern, I think, is that a child will forget to care for an animal, and the adults get busy and they forget to check when the animal is "hidden" from view. Out of sight, out of mind, as they say. Allergies are another concern, as stated previously. Breathing in piggie smell, grass, pellet dust, and hay isn't healthy, and a main room in the house provides more air flow to disperse these allergens.

It sounds like you take very good care of your piggies; however, in another 2 years or so, you will be dating, or starting a job in addition to school, and who will take care of them then? It would be better to have the entire family involved, and in love with them to ensure that they aren't lost in the shuffle of such a busy household. Just make sure to secure the cages so the smaller children can't get into them unsupervised.

Good luck!

I think the only concern of a pet being in a kid's room would be young kids who might drop them/ accidentally knock over the cage, etc. You seem like you're old enough to not do any of that. I think by kids they mean 10& under, not teens.

No, absolutely not. That is not what is meant. ANY child living under their parent's roof that doesn't hold down a full-time job, 18, 19 whatever. When you get to be older, the issues change and are just as important and concerning. Going to college or moving out to a cheap apartment that doesn't accept pets. It happens ALL the time. Do the parents want them? No. Because they were the "KID'S" pets and they have no sense of ownership or responsibility. I can't tell you how many surrender calls like that we rescues get.

Telling a 13-year old that it's okay is quite frankly ridiculous. Sure, they are great with the pigs now. EVERYTHING changes all the time when you are that age. Life changes. Interests change. Circumstances change. It's a given.

And if the parents don't have a strong sense of responsibility and ownership for your pets, what happens when you get hit with a $600+ vet bill. What happens when you think that your guinea pig needs emergency vet care and your parents don't buy in? Time, money, inconvenience.

What happens when you stay out late with your cool friends at some point in your future and your pigs don't get fed because your parents are not in the habit. You think it won't happen? Think again. It will. It does. And that is a very mild example.

FAMILY PET.

We currently keep the "sleeping" cage in our son's bedroom at night, or when we are out of the house, to keep the cat at bay. It has wheels, so when we are in the house the cage rolls out to the family room, and Pop Tart goes into the C&C cage for a long time. This seems to work for us for now. Our son likes to talk to the piggie while he's playing, and Pop Tart likes to come out and listen :)

We currently keep the "sleeping" cage in our son's bedroom at night, or when we are out of the house, to keep the cat at bay. It has wheels, so when we are in the house the cage rolls out to the family room, and Pop Tart goes into the C&C cage for a long time. This seems to work for us for now. Our son likes to talk to the piggie while he's playing, and Pop Tart likes to come out and listen :)

Yes, it sounds like a nice set up for you, but it's not so nice for your guinea pig. And it's not doing your son any favors, health-wise. Guinea pigs like consistency and don't do so well with constant change.

Guinea pigs do not 'sleep' at night like we do. Your guinea pig needs a friend. Guinea pigs like to exercise and run around on their own clocks, not ours. They are more like an hour on, an hour off kind of animal.

Cats and guinea pigs are generally fine. You could simply put a top on the cage.

Thank you CavySpirit. We're new to this, so this forum has been wonderful! I didn't know about the allergy problem and sleep cycles. We are planning to get him a piggie friend soon. Our cat is fat and old, and seems scared to be near our piggie. In fact, I don't think she'd be able to get over the side of the C&C cage anyhow.

We have a very small house, and don't want to stress Pop Tart with the tv (the C&C is in the same room-family room), so I like having the option to move him somewhere quiet during those short times we're watching tv.

Still learning! :)

@CavySpirit I get what you're saying but we can't assume that this is this persons situation. The family might care for the pet, letting them live in their child's room doesn't mean they don't care for it. My mom let our dog live in my room and let me be the primary care giver to it, but that doesn't mean she didn't know how to take care of it and didn't help at all. When I moved away to college the dog stayed with her and everything was fine. If I were a parent who had children old enough to keep a pet, I would let them keep it but obviously I wouldn't let the pets starve if the kids forgot to feed it one night. I think the original poster was asking more on terms of the guineas being comfortable in a bedroom.

I just wanted to add that I live with just a couple of roommates and not my family and I still don't have my pigs in my room. They are in my living room. Even though I am the sole responsible party when it comes to the well-being of my pigs, they still benefit greatly from being in a common area rather than vaulted off in my bedroom. One of my roommates pretty much ignores them, but they still see him walking around and get stimulation from that. My other roommate does interact with them some, but he probably wouldn't if they were in my bedroom. I agree with CavySpirit - ALL pets should be family pets, no matter how big or small!

I disagree. Putting a cage on top does not keep the cats away. Mine has a top and they still stick their paws in the cage.

My guinea pigs in my bedroom. Because I am hardly in any other room in the house, as a kid I had rats in my room and I took care of them every single day. (granted I've never been the type to have a social life, I didn't go out with friends or go to parties etc)

I agree as well! Ours is definitely a family pet. My husband spends lots of lap time with him, which I never expected!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.