Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

night breathing

long island pig

Cavy Slave
We recently adopted our first piggy - he's supposedly 3 or 4 years old. He has had 2 previous owners who lost interest in him. Now he's spoiled rotten by us and very happy. However, I've noticed at night that when he's sitting in his pigloo - he tends to breath differently. It seems a bit labored. As soon as we pick him up or he starts to move around - he's fine. There is no noise in his chest. He eats great and poops are fine. He tends to be a bit lazy - but I figure that's due to age. Before I spend $60 at the vet - does anyone experience the same thing ?

Treen

Cavy Slave
Perhaps the ventilation in there isn't too good? He could be more sensitive to that kind of thing, or perhaps the bedding irritates him when there's not as much free circulating air? Have you made the entrance to the pigloo wider - see this page https://guineapigcages.com/accessories.htm?

A check up at the vet will certainly do no harm, and if it's something that's just started up, I'd definitely want to get it checked out.

long island pig

Cavy Slave
Thanks for writing back...

He has great ventilation - I made him a 2 x 3 cage and it sits on my dining room table. And I'm using carefresh as bedding - isn't that supposed to be good ? I only want the best for my piggy. He also does it when he's in his wood house - which is very open. I just moved his pigloo to the second level because I'd prefer he sleep in the wood house.

And he's always done this - it's not new. If it were new, I'd bring him to the vet immediately. We've had him for 2 months and it hasn't gotten worse - I've been watching closely.

Maybe I'll just bring him to the vet - it's just been on my mind.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I just meant the ventilation within the pigloo (as that's when he does it), not the whole cage. I'd try putting the pigloo and wooden house on towels and see if he still does it. Carefresh is a good bedding, but different pigs have problem with different things and it could be that if airflow is slightly restricted (because he's 'in' something and also probably has his nose closer to the bedding if he's resting) it irritates him a bit, whereas he's fine with it normally. Testing him out with the towels for a few days would tell you if it was the bedding anyway.

Good luck if you take him to the vets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.