Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Impaction Nibbled some plastic? What are warning signs?

Cavia Appia

Cavy Slave
Hey, everyone,

So, I was trying to let my piggie have some space to run around today, and so I put everything I saw as piggie-nommable (plastic bags, toilet paper rolls, etc.) in the bathtub and let her run around the linoleum floor. She's still shy around me, so she wouldn't come out from behind the toilet to get some exercise, so I left the room for about 10 minutes and closed the door, hoping with a little alone time she'd run around a bit and get a little exercise.

I was in the next room over, where I could listen, and I heard her moving something around. I came back in to find her on top of a plastic broom and dustpan I'd missed on my pick-up of piggie non-edibles. She had chewed on the plastic bristles of the broom, it looked like. I'm not sure if she ingested any, as the bristle were broken off on some of it that she chewed on. I can see the resemblance of the bristles to hay, and I get why she thought it was edible.

I'm kicking myself for not supervising her, but I tried to make it safe so she could have a quick unsupervised run, just so she'd build her confidence. Now, I'm so worried.

What signs should I look out for with an impaction/intestinal blockage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.