Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Tip Newborn pup!!

DisaVelet

Cavy Gazer
Hi guys how’re you!! Hope you guys are doing well!!
So I’m in trouble… when I got my Guinea pigs my friends who bought them to me as a gift told me that the male is neutered and it’s okay to let him and the female live together but… the female died so I got a new one…the thing is she got pregnant by the male and I didn’t know she got pregnant until it was too late!! Today at 3:10 am I woke up to see Kassandra gave birth to three pups! One is alive but two sadly didn’t make it…
I separated Alexios from Kassandra (he’s restless now) and I also separated the baby from the mama because she won’t feed it and she took bite of his fingers!
I’m gonna take him to the vet tomorrow
But for now I don’t know what to do!! He’s barely moving!! And he’s not eating or drinking!! And he’s making soft noises! Please help me!!
I live in Kuwait so we don’t have a lot of stuff for Guinea pig!!

Edit: He just passed away now… I feel like a complete failure..

Attachments

image.jpg
Last edited:
I am so sorry this happened. What a sweet little guy. The mom must have known something was not right and didn't want it to live. Mom must have been young as they cannot birth babies after they are 8 months old. The pelvis narrows as they grow and they would need a c-section or the mom would die. I am a little confused. I thought the male was fixed.

Edited by bpatters: @CarlaChamp001, your information is inaccurate. Please do not post recommendations unless you are certain that the information is correct.

Guinea pigs can give birth throughout their lives, although it becomes more dangerous if a sow is having a first pregnancy after she is about eight months old. But the pelvis does NOT narrow -- what happens is that the pelvic ligaments stiffen and may not stretch enough to allow for delivery of the pups, especially if the pups are large. The risk of death is much higher in older, first-time mothers, but sows who have had litters when younger than eight months may not have any difficulty delivering later in life.

Even with an accidental pregnancy in an older pig, it is not a death sentence and does not always require a c-section. An x-ray close to time of delivery can determine if there is a very large pup that is unlikely to pass the birth canal, but if all the pups are small or even normal size, the sow may possibly deliver normally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys how’re you!! Hope you guys are doing well!!
So I’m in trouble… when I got my Guinea pigs my friends who bought them to me as a gift told me that the male is neutered and it’s okay to let him and the female live together but… the female died so I got a new one…the thing is she got pregnant by the male and I didn’t know she got pregnant until it was too late!! Today at 3:10 am I woke up to see Kassandra gave birth to three pups! One is alive but two sadly didn’t make it…
I separated Alexios from Kassandra (he’s restless now) and I also separated the baby from the mama because she won’t feed it and she took bite of his fingers!
I’m gonna take him to the vet tomorrow
But for now I don’t know what to do!! He’s barely moving!! And he’s not eating or drinking!! And he’s making soft noises! Please help me!!
I live in Kuwait so we don’t have a lot of stuff for Guinea pig!!

Edit: He just passed away now… I feel like a complete failure..

I am so sorry this happened. What a sweet little guy. The mom must have known something was not right and didn't want it to live. Mom must have been young as they cannot birth babies after they are 8 months old. The pelvis narrows as they grow and they would need a c-section or the mom would die. I am a little confused. I thought the male was fixed.

Thank you.
I thought the male was fixed too. But it looks like the guy who was selling them lied

You can check if a male guinea pig is truly fixed or not if you know what to look/feel for. Guinea pigs have an open inguinal ring so they are capable of withdrawing their testicles up towards their abdomen so not being able to see testicles isn't a guarantee.

However I can say from owning a neutered boar his private do look different, he has pretty much no lose skin where the testicles were anymore and what he does have just feels empty. Even when my other boys draw their testicles up their scrotum still feel like they at least have some fluid in them.

If your boy was in with her when she gave birth there is a chance she could be pregnant again, they go into heat as they give birth. If this is the case you will need to watch her closely and make extra sure she is getting the right diet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.