Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie to the forums:)

milkiepig

Cavy Gazer
Hello! I just joined so thought I would make a little introduction!
I have 6 guinea pigs! 4 females and my boyfriend has two males (one elderly)
I have two female guinea pigs who I took on from a breeder who arrived pregnant, so i’m currently looking after some babies as well, the woman i got them off had them with a male until he was 4 weeks old ☹️ still not impressed by that at all
Anyway!!
I was wondering if an 11x 2 c&c cage would be large enough to house my 6 females? assuming that they all get along during the bonding as I’ve had to separate a few to take the cage I currently have apart

tink

Cavy Gazer
how do you remove all hay and poop from flrrce liners and blankets before washing in washer

milkiepig

Cavy Gazer
Oh and if anyone was wondering! I have an abyssinian & so does my boyfriend (the elderly one), two americans, a teddy (boyfriends) and some sort of long haired girl, not super sure on her breed

milkiepig

Cavy Gazer
how do you remove all hay and poop from flrrce liners and blankets before washing in washer
i brush my fleece out onto the grass outside using a scrub brush:) but i use a little hoover to suck up the poops during spot cleans so it’s not that bad

Sybris

Cavy Gazer
Shop vac for spot cleaning - hay sometimes gets stuck, but is easy to remove. Also gets the smaller bits pretty well. For the washer I put it in a laundry bag with a zipper after shaking it out outside. I just got a compost bin so instead of yeeting everything over the balcony I'm going to be shaking it over the compost bin instead. Allegedly you can compost guinea pig poo since they're herbivores.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Shop vac for spot cleaning - hay sometimes gets stuck, but is easy to remove. Also gets the smaller bits pretty well. For the washer I put it in a laundry bag with a zipper after shaking it out outside. I just got a compost bin so instead of yeeting everything over the balcony I'm going to be shaking it over the compost bin instead. Allegedly you can compost guinea pig poo since they're herbivores.
"allegedly" is correct. You CAN indeed compost the hay and poops and if you happen to use the recycled paper crumble bedding, that's also compostable. My brother has been taking my used hay and poops for quite some time now for his garden.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
An 11x2 cage should be fine for six females.