Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Newbie new, Is there any ways to make cleaning easier?

nousername

Cavy Slave
I just got two guinea pigs from a rescue. And they love eating and POOPING. It's literally poop everywhere, I feel like Alice in the Poopingland. Is there any way you guys do to keep the poop concentrated in one place? Also, pee is also a huge problem. Any suggestions will be great:eye-poppi

Also, do they have to have timothy hay? The smell of it is very strong, I would rather feed them fresh veggie everyday if possible

What are you using for bedding?

And yes, they should always have access to timothy hay and should be fed mainly fresh vegetables (it's not one or the other).

How big is their cage? If it's a C&C and you're using fleece, it would be easier to clean if you add a separate 1x2 coroplast tray with disposable bedding and feed them in that section. They usually use the restroom where they eat.

You can feed any type of grass hay, not just timothy. Try orchard grass or bluegrass and see if you like them better. Hay is main part of their diet. They need unlimited grass hay so you can't stop giving hay.

In addition to hay, they should have 1 cup of veggies per pig per day.

What are you using for bedding?

And yes, they should always have access to timothy hay and should be fed mainly fresh vegetables (it's not one or the other).

Currently a thick layer of cardboard, then magazine and newspaper and finally vinyl and fleece

How big is their cage? If it's a C&C and you're using fleece, it would be easier to clean if you add a separate 1x2 coroplast tray with disposable bedding and feed them in that section. They usually use the restroom where they eat.

You can feed any type of grass hay, not just timothy. Try orchard grass or bluegrass and see if you like them better. Hay is main part of their diet. They need unlimited grass hay so you can't stop giving hay.

In addition to hay, they should have 1 cup of veggies per pig per day.

I try to make it 1x8, but changed my mind to 2x4. What about pellet? Is pellet necessary?

pellet shouldn't be main food? The lady at the rescue told me to feed them pellet and hay. Also, does hay make them overweight?

Nousername, I recommend that you read the link given above, as well as the basic care information here or at www.guinealynx.info . You will learn the answers to basic questions there.

Yes, they must have hay. No, hay doesn't make them overweight. Yes, give them a high quality pellet.

Currently a thick layer of cardboard, then magazine and newspaper and finally vinyl and fleece

Your fleece is directly on vinyl? It needs absorbent layer underneath to absorb the urine. With your layers, it's possible the top will stay very wet.

You don't really need cardboard, magazines or newspapers. You can use vinyl, then 2 or 3 layers of absorbent fabrics (for example: towels, (broken link removed), etc) , then one layer of fleece on the top.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/21568/

When hay gets soaked with urine, it smells. Try putting the hay in a hay bin or safe hay rack to keep it off the ground. Shake out or sweep the fleece more frequently. I have a 2 x 5 cc cage with three females and two of them are big poopers. They both seem to poop more than any of my other guinea pigs, including two males I have. The topic of hay racks has come up a lot so there are some threads about it that you can look up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.