Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie here...please don't be mad.

cavyluvr

Cavy Slave
@CavyMama okay you have your opinion I have mine. I totally agree that most petstores don't take proper care of the pets they sell and don't get them from a reputable breeder like they hsould or even better yet help out rescues by teaming up with them to get the animal adopted. I purchased my 2 girls from a petstore and yes at the time I didn't know anything about this site or c and c cages I just knew what the petstore told me and what I saw online which was mostly videos giving basically the same info that the stores give you. But I don't feel like I did the wrong thing by buying the from the petstore and I wouldn't change a thing. The only thing I would have probably done differently was to also buy the third guinea pig that was with them. At the time I didn't know that guinea pigs can get depressed from being separated from their cage mates of coures Lizzie and Marie weren't sad they had each other but I the one who was left behind probably wasn't too happy.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It's not my "opinion" that buying from petstores funds breeding mills - that's a fact. Breeding mills will force a sow to breed over and over and over until she cannot produce anymore and then she is destroyed because she is no longer useful - that's not my opinion - that's a fact.

If you read carefully, my post said nothing about how the pets are cared for in-store. Many members here, bought from petstores before they knew better but once they learned what really goes on, they stopped. Now YOU know the horrors that breeding mills put guinea pigs through. The next step is yours. Continue to support the horrific conditions and barbaric practices of breeding mills (and the petstores that fund them) or choose to give a home to a pig who is in a shelter awaiting a home.

There is an overpopulation problem with guinea pigs. Breeding mills choose to contribute to that problem by creating MORE guinea pigs. Shelters and rescues choose to be part of the solution by working to find homes for those homeless pigs.

Obviously you wouldn't change a thing, your pigs are already bought and you love them, I get that. What's done is done. You can't change that you bought them but now you know the origins of where petstores get their pets. Buying from them opens a spot for a newly manufactured guinea pig from the breeding mills.

The stores see their live animals as inventory - just like they see dog food or a cat toy. Something that as an inventory number and something that needs to be restocked when supplies run low.

Every time people buy a pig from a petstore, rather than choosing to adopt a pig in a shelter or rescue, there are pigs that are euthanized for lack of space.

Choose wisely.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
there's a time and place to argue about it (The Kitchen) but HERE is not the place. this is to welcome new people - we aren't making a good impression by arguing.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
I got my second pig, Kwee, from Petsmart. There aren't any rescues or shelters within hundreds of miles of Cleveland, according to the links I've seen here on the forums, the site, and affiliate sites. And frankly, as much as I sympathize with the cause of rescuing, I just can't drop the time and money to drive from here to Michigan, which was the nearest rescue I could find.

That being said, Kwee seems to be in good health, and she and Quee (our 4-year-old pig adopted from a friend who moved away) are getting along fantastically. The way I see it, it's better for me to get one from the store and ensure that it has a good home and care than to leave it to either live in the store for the rest of its life, or get taken home by someone less suitable.

And with regards to lofts, we built a 2x4 C&C cage with a 1x2 loft, and neither Quee nor Kwee ever go upstairs. We've tried putting the food bowl and hay up there, but frankly, I think they would just starve. ;) So we ended up taking the loft off, because it made it harder to reach into the back corner of the cage underneath it and it never got used. Oh well.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
I've just got an open top "pen" like area that is divided for females (who have most of the space) and each male to himself (2 males, 2x4 each) and floor time ^^ piggies seem to love it lol. I switch it around too - so maybe next cleaning day (friday) the boys'll be closer to the window. they popcorn more when I do this haha!

kananaka

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome. You boys are handsome =)

doganddisc

Cavy Slave
Welcome :) Those are some good looking piggies!

Regarding buying from a pet store- I got my most recent guy from a pet store. I think what other users are trying to say is that, from here on out, you should avoid purchasing an animal from a pet store as doing so encourages a cycle of bad breeding. Otherwise, enjoy your piggies and love them like they deserve to be loved. They're lucky to have you :)

Senamian

Cavy Slave
plus if you have a shelter near you, it's actually cheaper to adopt (and makes a homeless guinea happy!). most of my adopted gals were originally from pet stores (previous owner/s)

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Your pigs are so cute! Three boys must be a lot of antics and fun, I can only imagine all of the energy those three little ones have. I like the fleece too, cool choice.

Oh, and people: Lets not derail (yet another) intro thread into (yet another) discussion about why buying from a pet store is bad and, despite anyone's delusions, will never constitute adoption and will never be anything aside from a contribution to the problem. If you want to delve into the topic do a search, we've beaten it into the ground enough recently.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
lol agreed!

don't forget your piggies'll LOL being outside in the grass come warm spring days =D

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I forgot to add: we demand (kindly ;) ) more pictures! How dare you give us only a slight peek at Ozzy.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
haha!!! agreed on that one ;)

rexy2011

Cavy Slave
I agree, i just want to talk to others who love gps

Luna8

Cavy Slave
Hello, and welcome to the Forum!
Lovely little pigglers you have there, bye the way! My first guinea pig was an albino, too! I have three piggies, (in present), two girls and one boy, they are all brother and sister. I have had five guinea pigs in my piggie history. And don't feel bad, alot of new cavy owners buy from pet stores, not really knowing if it's a good one or not, sense, (in my opinion), most of the ones I've gone to are really bad, they just don't know hardly at all about little critters! :ashamed: Poor fellers. So I wanted to say, I really like your cage, it's beautiful, better than mine, and you're babies look very nice and healthy too! Good, lots of veggies and Timothy hay, Timothy hay is very immportant and is a big part of a guinea pig's diet! Aw, cute names, the little sweeties! My male is named Aslan, and I call him Ozzy like you'rs is called! He is very mellow in his personallity, and loves to cuddle and explore, which is a mixture between my tw girls. One of my girls is anmed Coffee, who is very sweet, enjoys cuddling, and more of a stay at home typ piggie. My other girl is called LordBrocktree, who is very mischeviouse, nice but not exactly cuddly, and is always trying to find new places to explore! They are all around two years old, maybe older..Two to three years old, about! :). Well, if you have any questions or things your just not quite sure about, I'll always be here to help if I can, no hesitation!! :cheerful:.
Thanks for that sweet little pic, (could always use more!),
Luna:love:

ldrew7

Cavy Slave
Here are more pics as requested!!11.jpg16.jpg14.jpg12.jpgThis is one of my cats, Boy, looking down at Dexter wanting to 'play'.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
awwwww =D so cute!!! and haha love the cat ;) "If I sit up here they are bound to come out eventually!!"

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Very cute piglets!

I'd be too nervous getting a cat with piggies. My paranoia wouldn't allow me to. :p

I'm also a bit jealous of your hay rack.

ldrew7

Cavy Slave
We have 4 cats and only does that one bother them. As you can see to the left of him we put a pillow on top for him to lay on since he is up there so much. I just got my hay racks in the mail from the same place I ordered my cage: Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home. I couldn't find any good ones around. I was using a litter pan as one but they kept peeing and pooing in it, go figure! Now it is used as an actual litter pan as you can see a little in the corner of the second pic. They actually jump in there and do their business. It is so cute.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
They are super adorable! I love the brown/white one with the ruby eyes but the black one is super cute as well. I've never had an all black one.

Senamian

Cavy Slave
closest I have to a black one is black with a brown nose :3

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.