Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie Cage builder . . . PLEASE HELP!!!

Baubler

Cavy Slave
Okay, cavy mommies and daddies, I need HELP!!!

Currently, I have one male pig, approx. 2 years old, named Charlie. I love him to bits and hopefully will be adopting a "little brother" for him in a month or so from a new litter.

Until this weekend, Charlie was living in a med/large sized pet store cage and was quite happy. In fact, he actually would go in and out at will during "floor time" - he safely had the run of most of my apartment.

So, I spent most of this weekend building and decorating the cage and it's finally completed!

However, now I have new set of issues I'm hoping you all can help me with.

1.) Charlie's been in his new "condo" for about 48 hours now, and he doesn't
seem particularly happy.
He isn't crying or making a great deal of noise, but he pretty much just
stays in one little hiding place. He is eating and drinking, though.

When I took him out of the new place for "floor time," he went back to his
old cage, which I hadn't removed yet, and didn't want to come out and
then he ran away and we had a little arguement about going back in the
condo.

I'm worried that he's unhappy. I know it takes piggies some time to adjust,
but he's been moved to new cages/environment before with little to no
incident.

Should I be concerned?

2.) I bought 2 little litter pans and put them in the corner on each level of the
cage. How do I (can I?) teach him to use them? I noticed in his other cage
he would basically use just one corner, so I thought it would helpful,
cleaning-wise to have litter pan in the new place.
Is this a good idea?

3.) I put a ramp in the cage so he can get to the second level. How do teach
him to use it?
He would go up and down the door on his former cage to get
in and out all the time, so I know he's capable of doing it.
The ramp is grid panel that is 16" by 6", with carpet on the underside so
he can't fall through.

4.)The cage is on the floor.

I tried to put it up on top of grid blocks, but it just seemed so unstable
(maybe because the floor is carpeted, not hard surface?)

I don't have a proper table to put the cage up on, either, so for now at
least it's going to stay on the floor, although I did build on a second level.

His other cage was always on the floor, and he always seemed quite
happy, so I think this will be okay.

There aren't any children or animals in my home, so no one other than
myself is going to get into the cage.

Please let me know what you all think.

I don't have any pics yet, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to post them.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

-Baubler

suzy_99

Cavy Slave
1. My piggies also like to go into their old cage during floor time. After a while he will get use to his new cage. It is a probably a huge change for him. I would give him time.

2.The best thing to do for the litter pans is to wait until he chooses a corner. This can take sometime in a large cage, but it can be a lot easier then trying to teach him to use it. If, however, you want to teach him just keep putting his droppings and wet bedding into the litter and he might learn what it is for.

3. Try putting some food on the second level. If you put his favorite veggy up there, he will more than likely climb up the ramp to get it. After he goes up the first time, you could try keeping his hay up there so that he will continue to climb it and will eventually become comfortable with it.

4. My cage is also on the floor and there should be no problem with it as long as it is not near any drafts.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, he's just adjusting to his new environment. It may take him a week or so to feel comfortable. My cage is on the floor too and the pigs are perfectly happy!

pennick

Cavy Slave
I wouldnt have moved him yet until you get your new piggy. This way both piggies will have a new environment and the chance of getting along will be much better since the cage will be new to both of them. Can you hold off on putting him in the new cage? I think that would be best. They can then get used to it together. And you may not have a terrible dominance issue between them.

Baubler

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Suzy!

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Baubler

suzy_99 said:
1. My piggies also like to go into their old cage during floor time. After a while he will get use to his new cage. It is a probably a huge change for him. I would give him time.

2.The best thing to do for the litter pans is to wait until he chooses a corner. This can take sometime in a large cage, but it can be a lot easier then trying to teach him to use it. If, however, you want to teach him just keep putting his droppings and wet bedding into the litter and he might learn what it is for.

3. Try putting some food on the second level. If you put his favorite veggy up there, he will more than likely climb up the ramp to get it. After he goes up the first time, you could try keeping his hay up there so that he will continue to climb it and will eventually become comfortable with it.

4. My cage is also on the floor and there should be no problem with it as long as it is not near any drafts.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My girls cage is on the floor too. I wouldn't be able to clean it if it were on a table. I have 4 in a 3x4 with a loft.

Charlie is probably feeling overwhelmed with all the new space he now has. Give him time to adjust. Also place veggies on the ramp at small intervals and some at the top and he will soon be running up and down like mad. Also if you use your loft as a feeding zone, it helps as well.

pookczek

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
My girls cage is on the floor too. I wouldn't be able to clean it if it were on a table. I have 4 in a 3x4 with a loft.
Our cage used to be on the floor, but my low back was hurting so much I had to put it on a table. This way, it's much easier for me to clean their cage and pet them as I'm walking by.

Also place veggies on the ramp at small intervals and some at the top and he will soon be running up and down like mad. Also if you use your loft as a feeding zone, it helps as well.
I tried leaving veggies on the ramp, but they would just stretch out as far as they can so they always had at least one foot on the main floor - I couldn't believe how far they could stretch... like a slinky.

So, I ended up leading them with their favorite vegetables. I held lettuce at the base of the ramp, where they got their first few nibbles. Slowly, but surely, I would move my hand up the ramp with nibbling piggies in tow. Once they got to the top, they stop suddenly and look around as if to say 'how the heck did I get up here'. Then they popcorn around the loft.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.