Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression New to the site- And in DESPERATE need of help!

amandatros

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone! I'm new to this website- what brought me here was the fact that google clearly doesn't know everything and I'm hoping I can get some help.
I am the proud owner of 7 guinea pigs!
And unfortunately I was only intending on having two.
I bought two guinea pigs from Petco in late January/early February. I thought they were both boys- named Chester and Dusty. They got along GREAT. Well 'Dusty' started to gain weight and we realized that 'Dusty' was a girl, she was pregnant, and we named her Delilah. When Delilah was carrying the babies, she was the SWEETEST little piggy. She would always lick my hand and face, she would popcorn all the time, and she would always make happy noises. Well once she came close to having the babies, I had to separate her and Chester. She still seemed to be happy, although I felt very bad for Chester and I decided to get him another friend..who we named Teddy:eek: LUCKILY I learned myself how to determine the sex of guinea pigs so I wouldn't end up with another pregnant piggy. ANYWAYS, about a week and a half ago, she had 4 adorable babies, 2 boys and 2 girls, and the other day I tried playing with her and she bit me. Very hard. And shes always running away now, and when I have her she's always doing whatever she can to get away from me. :sorry: Did I do something wrong? The other day my boyfriend and I had Chester and Delilah in our laps with the babies so that Chester could interact with them, and Delilah came at him chattering her teeth all angry. What has gotten into her? Is it something to do with all guinea pig mothers that they get like that some time after having them? Is there anything I can do to try to turn her back into the sweet piggy she once was? :guilty: I'm desperate, if anyone can lend me their advice or help me out it would be wonderful. I miss playing with her without getting attacked.

all animals protect their young, give her some treats like lettuce or a pepper, itll just take some patience especially sinse she will be worried about her babies.

So in time, she'll chill out?
Btw-thanks for the suggestion. I give them veggies and treats but I haven't thought of trying to hand feed her since the day she attacked me. I'll try it!

Don't put Chester near her. As soon as the boy babies are three weeks old, they can go in with dad, and then he'll have all the interaction he can stand.

Also, hold her by herself, without all the babies. Feed her yummies, and be patient. She'll probably come around.

Will definitely do that. Thank you!

Delilah is probably running more now because she's skinny enough to run - when they're pregnant they're less mobile and now that she has the freedom to run she will. She might have bitten you because she didn't like how you were touching her, or she may have thought you were food, or she might just be a grouchy new mom who wanted to be left alone... Hopefully as the babies get older she'll go back to "normal" but it is a possibility that she is her "normal" self now but you never got to see it before because she was living with Dusty. Holding her and spending time with her should help. Good luck!

Having her re-introduced to the daddy is probably what caused her to chatter - when a guinea pig is separated and then re-introduced they go through the "dominance dance" all over again like they've never met before... Delilah was probably just protecting her babies from the "stranger" (Dusty).

Out of curiosity - do you have a 3rd cage set up for the baby boys to go in once they turn 3 weeks old? How big are your current cages?

Dusty was Delilah's name before we realized she was a girl.. Chester's the dad :)
Right now we have a C&C cage that's a 2x10. We have 2 in the middle separating the boys from the mommy and babies so they each have a 2x5 to run around in. It's pretty huge, lol
When we made the cages, we couldn't find any corrugated plastic so we found some shelf liners at walmart (something like this)- Walmart.com: Duck Adhesive Cork Shelf Liner: Household Essentials
to line the bottom with. It works really well as for holding the bedding, and when it's time to clean the cages we just have to sweep a tiny bit off of the floor.
But as for the babies turning 3 weeks, I have extra cubes and shelf liners to make them their own cage, but I'm hoping that Chester and Teddy can get along with them and I won't have to resort to that because I'm running out of bedroom space for myself!

Do not separate her from her babies until they are three weeks, then just take away the boys and introduce them to Chester and Teddy, you can leave the girls with Delilah. Any sort of separation before time will only stress the piggies. You should build a C&C cage with a division, so in one half of the cage you place the boys and in other half you place the girls, that way they can still see each other through the common wall and interact with each other but they won't be able to mate. Delilah's behavior is very normal, the guinea mommy gets really defensive because she has to protect her babies, when they get older she will return to be a sweet and loving piggy because she won't have to protect her babies anymore. In the wild they have to protect the babies from a lot of dangers and the guinea mommy has to be ready to fight and warn off possible predators, she has to be aggressive if she wants her babies to survive. Delilah knows that you are good with her but she doesn't know if you intend to harm her babies, she can't risk it, just leave her be and with time and love she and you are going to be just fine.

Thanks. I do have them a c&c cage with a border in the middle, and it seems like they're always trying to break out and get to the other side.
Oh! Another question-- I have two houses for Chester and Teddy to sleep in, but I only have one in Delilah's cage because I assumed she and the babies would want to sleep together/always be together. Should I go out and buy another house for her side of the cage? Or should they be good?

Dusty was Delilah's name before we realized she was a girl.. Chester's the dad :)
Right now we have a C&C cage that's a 2x10. We have 2 in the middle separating the boys from the mommy and babies so they each have a 2x5 to run around in. It's pretty huge, lol
When we made the cages, we couldn't find any corrugated plastic so we found some shelf liners at walmart (something like this)- Walmart.com: Duck Adhesive Cork Shelf Liner: Household Essentials
to line the bottom with. It works really well as for holding the bedding, and when it's time to clean the cages we just have to sweep a tiny bit off of the floor.
But as for the babies turning 3 weeks, I have extra cubes and shelf liners to make them their own cage, but I'm hoping that Chester and Teddy can get along with them and I won't have to resort to that because I'm running out of bedroom space for myself!

Sorry I got confused about the names...

Is your 2x10 baby proofed? (grids layered over one another so a baby's head can't get stuck). You'll need to do this if you haven't already, especially with the divider so the little boys can't run back and forth to get the mom/sisters pregnant! Also a lid near the divider might be needed if you have jumpers...

I was wrong about needing a 3rd cage for the (baby) boys - if you put them in with the two older males you should be ok, but the suggested size for 4 pigs is a 2x6 - maybe you could extend your current cage to a 2x11 with the divider so the boys have an extra grid?

Also you can stack cages if you're running out of space horizontally... Here's a pic to give you a visual of what I mean by stacking

Should I go out and buy another house for her side of the cage? Or should they be good?
You should have at least one hide out space per pig, but that doesn't always mean a "house". You can use cardboard boxes, soda boxes, empty oatmeal containers, PVC pipe, fleece forests, snuggle sacks, etc. This should help you come up with some ideas.

Actually, the grids that I found are cubes, but they aren't wires.. it's like a cube with little circle's inside instead of a wire grid. Their heads are definitely too big to fit inside of the small circles on the cube. Once I'm able to separate the males from Delilah, I have a friend who's going to adopt Delilah and the two girls. I'm just hoping I can turn her back into her friendly self before I let my friend have her. My friend is planning on building a cage similar to mine with the materials I told her to go out and get, so once the girls go to her, I'll be able to remove the divider and they will have a HUGE cage. I think I'm more excited than they will be. But this way, my friend can build Delilah the cage she needs, she'll have her daughters with her to stay, Chester, Teddy and the boys will have a bigger cage, and I'll still get to go see Delilah. Then everyone wins! :)

Actually, the grids that I found are cubes, but they aren't wires.. it's like a cube with little circle's inside instead of a wire grid.

Are they like the black ones in this pic: [GuineaPigCages.com] New to the site- And in DESPERATE need of help! They may not be able to fit but be sure they're not chewing on them... I had to remove this particular divider because they were gnawing on it to get to each other and I was afraid of them swallowing the plastic...

Sounds like you have a good plan for your piggies! :) I got my two piggies from a similar situation...

Yeah that's exactly the material that I have my cage made from. They don't really gnaw on it but sometimes they like to try to break out and get to the other side, but I've never noticed any of it being bitten off so I think I'm good. Thanks for all your help!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.